The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ice balls in hooves (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ice-balls-hooves-42445/)

MN Tigerstripes 12-10-2009 09:41 AM

Ice balls in hooves

Alright, my old mare has a tendency to build up very thick snow balls in her hooves. It'll get to the point where her hooves can be like 2" off the ground really quickly (I'm talking like an hour here). I can't imagine this helps her arthritis or tendency to trip. I'm going to spray some Pam on her hooves after cleaning them out really well and then drying them. My horse friend suggested this, but I figured it can't hurt to ask for other suggestions.

Thanks.
Jen

luvmyperch 12-10-2009 09:46 AM

Talk to your farrier, they might recommend something like this: Castle Draft Snowball Pad-Centaur Forge I've heard that things like Pam won't last very long.

MN Tigerstripes 12-10-2009 10:13 AM

Unfortunately she isn't shod and as she's 29 and probably on her last winter I can't imagine my mom would agree to shoe her (it's her horse). Although they look like they'd work if she was. Thanks for the idea though!

farmpony84 12-10-2009 10:14 AM

my first thought was remove the shoes but if she's not shod I would think to put something like vaseline on her hooves. the balls make me nervous when the get them.

MN Tigerstripes 12-10-2009 10:17 AM

I didn't think of vaseline, that might work better than the Pam. I hate it when she gets the ice balls. It looks very painful, esp from how she walks. I don't know why she gets them so much worse then the other horses I've had. Maybe because she doesn't move around a lot? Either way, I'm just doing my best to make her as comfy as possible this winter.

QHDragon 12-10-2009 10:37 AM

Yeah my first suggestion would have been the snow pads, but if you don't want to shoe her than Vaseline may be your best bet.

PechosGoldenChance 12-10-2009 11:19 AM

Although I've never had this happen with any of my horses *knock on wood*, I have heard that vaseline does work pretty good. My friends horse gets those darn ice balls and they suck! Good luck with those horrible ice balls!

My Beau 12-10-2009 11:26 AM

I've also seen Crisco used to keep them from forming.

Stillstandin 12-10-2009 11:46 AM

I have used Vaseline if my horses were not shod and wearing snow pads. It works OK but has to be reapplied.
Another thing that I have tried and it works is WD40.

AlmagroN 12-10-2009 01:07 PM

all those things sound like they would work. we have always just put hoof grease on the bottoms of their feet before they go out.