The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How cold is too cold?

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  samc230 
#1 ·
I haven't had a chance to turn my boy out since I got him two weeks ago due to rain, nasty nasty weather, etc. However, today and tomorrow are supposed to be just BEAUTIFUL outside--except it is 34F outside. The sun is out and shining. Tomorrow's high is 46F. Because both days are supposed to be so nice, I want to leave him out over night, but the low is 26F. Clear skies, no chance of rain.

I haven't gotten a blanket for him yet.

Is it too cold?

#3 ·
It has been disgusting here lately. Freezing rain, etc. He has an odd blanket size and I'm having a hard time finding one for him, even on ebay. I take him out and lunge him and let him have some free time in the 74,000 square foot arena that is heated. He isn't just cooped up all day. He is let out everyday, just not outside.

The barn I'm at NEVER leaves their horses out overnight and my friend is telling me he will get sick for SURE if it's under 32F. I feel like I can't do what I want to do with my own horse.

#12 ·
The barn I'm at NEVER leaves their horses out overnight and my friend is telling me he will get sick for SURE if it's under 32F. I feel like I can't do what I want to do with my own horse.
Your friend doesn't know anything about horses. Do people really think that horses are that fragile? Do you get sick if you go out in below freezing weather? My horses have never had a blanket on in thier lives and for the last two weeks we have had highs below freezing. I have never had a horse get sick from the cold.

#5 ·
All 3 of my guys are outside all the time, but they have also always been outside all their lives. They have a run in area and I have never blanketed them so they are nice and woolly right now. After it rains, they love to go roll in the mud so I try to brush them as often as possible to keep their hair fluffy and insulating, but they have never shown any signs of problems from the weather. They're in NE TX and it has been cold, down to 20 degrees at night. I also do feed them some extra grain and try to make sure they have really good hay.

#7 ·
It's been down to the zero degree point in my area consistently every night so far this week. In the days the highest it's reached is 20 degrees. When it rains my horse stands out in the rain. When it blows he stands with his butt to the trees. When it snows he stands out in the snow. When it blows and rains/snows he just stands with his butt to the trees. He does have two different structures just for the livestock to stand under to get out of the weather. But he would prefer to stand under the skies and let nature just fall on him.

I don't use blankets and such. I also haven't clipped his hair I just let him grow his winter coat and he's good.

I think the extended forcast for my area says that the warmest it's gonna be next week will be the low 30's.

#8 ·
He has a very thick winter coat. He is like a sheep, LOL! He does not have a run in or any trees in his pasture. I checked him before I left (it was 25F when I got in my car) and he was not shivering or showing any signs of distress. I checked his belly, between his legs, etc. and he was actually pretty toasty!

My boyfriend's horses insist on standing out in the elements. They bought a lovely barn and run in for the horses and it really ticked my boyfriend off when the horses refused to go inside. Horses are just horses it seems!

#11 ·
He has a very thick winter coat. He is like a sheep, LOL! He does not have a run in or any trees in his pasture. I checked him before I left (it was 25F when I got in my car) and he was not shivering or showing any signs of distress. I checked his belly, between his legs, etc. and he was actually pretty toasty!

My boyfriend's horses insist on standing out in the elements. They bought a lovely barn and run in for the horses and it really ticked my boyfriend off when the horses refused to go inside. Horses are just horses it seems!
Our mares are out 24x7 and the only time you ever see them shivering is when it is around freezing, raining, and windy...that's the combination that makes them coldest, and that's the only time you'll see them in their run in. Just the cold or snow doesn't bother them a bit.

#9 ·
My horses are usually out 24/7 with a lean-to shed. However, they are thin skinned and do NOT like the bitter cold. Being in KS, we get a lot of it! They have their heavy winter blankets on but still get cold under 15 degrees.

So, my rule of thumb is 15 degrees or colder (including wind chill) is when I will bring them in. Tonight, it's -1 and they are happy and toasty warm inside!

#10 ·
Mine are outside all the time too. They have access to a lean-to for shelter, but they only opt for it when it rains and even then, they don't always use it. I don't like to blanket because it prevents their coat from growing out like it could. Horses were designed to be outside in the elements. I find mine laying down in the middle of the pasture to stay out of the cold and wind sometimes. They know what to do. Being cooped up for 2 weeks would drive mine absolutely bonkers. They don't even like being shut up in a corral. Lots of behavior issues disappear if mine have full access to their pastures. Let him loose. He'll thank you for it.

#13 ·
min big horses are always outside with a section of the barn to come into whenever they want. My minis are also outside with a chicken coop to cuddle up in. IF he is used to being in a stall all the time then I might wait until you get him a blanket but God made horses to be able to withstand most climates.

BTW, Make sure you feel at home at your barn, not like your horses care is out of your hands :)

#14 ·
My friend has had horses since she was teeny, and now that we're in college she has her set of "fixed" ways. I felt backed into a corner because the days I can't make it out to feed and clean his stall, she will come do it for me. I didn't want to deliberately do what she told me I shouldn't do and then her say she couldn't help me anymore. I doubt we're that immature at this age, but small things like that worry me... if she is helping me out on a daily basis, I do want to make her feel that her advice is being taken to heart.

Regardless, I let him out and I have never seen a horse buck so "over the top" in my life! He was very happy to be out and about. I figured he would be fine, horses are horses. I live in the deep south anyways, it doesn't get THAT cold here. 25F is very, very cold for Memphis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.