The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique:) Jumping :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-jumping-42464/)

xLaurenOscarx 12-10-2009 03:07 PM

Critique:) Jumping :)

10 Attachment(s)
Some pics of me and oscar:)
Sorry some of them are blurry! Just want your opinion on them:)
YouTube - xLaurenOscarx's Channel
My link on bebo if you want to see more:)
thanks;)

xLaurenOscarx 12-10-2009 03:08 PM

Bumping it up:)

GeminiJumper 12-11-2009 01:50 PM

You look really good! You seem very secure in the saddle. If I did have anything to say, it would be to point your toes forward a bit more and I think you could stand to get your butt a bit closer to the saddle in the first few pictures. I would also ask for more heel depth. In most of the pictures it looks like you are bracing against your stirrups. Your heels aren't UP but it doesn't exactly look like your ankles are relaxed enough to let your weight fall through.

Marrissa 12-12-2009 01:14 AM

I agree. You look almost like you're doing a hurdle race over the jumps. You know how the jockeys have quite a bit of sky between them and the saddle. You look like a very confident and proficient jumper. I'd just focus more on sinking your weight into your heels. Landings feel a lot better when you've got your heel down and weight on them to help absorb the shock. :)

Your horse looks like a talented jumper as well. :-)

Angelhorsegirl 12-13-2009 12:32 PM

Not bad at all, but I believe you are way too high out of the saddle. Try to push your butt down into the saddle seat a bit more. Sit low, crouch your tummy to the saddle and push your shoulders back if you are tall. It looks awkward when you are that high up on the horse's neck.

xLaurenOscarx 12-13-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeminiJumper (Post 487695)
You look really good! You seem very secure in the saddle. If I did have anything to say, it would be to point your toes forward a bit more and I think you could stand to get your butt a bit closer to the saddle in the first few pictures. I would also ask for more heel depth. In most of the pictures it looks like you are bracing against your stirrups. Your heels aren't UP but it doesn't exactly look like your ankles are relaxed enough to let your weight fall through.

yeah ive a bad habit of pointing my toes out lol. in the 1st few pics my stirrups were way too short in the arena. Oscar has quite a scopey jump so sometimes he throws you out of the saddle a bit as you go over the jump.
ok thank you:)

xLaurenOscarx 12-13-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marrissa (Post 488171)
I agree. You look almost like you're doing a hurdle race over the jumps. You know how the jockeys have quite a bit of sky between them and the saddle. You look like a very confident and proficient jumper. I'd just focus more on sinking your weight into your heels. Landings feel a lot better when you've got your heel down and weight on them to help absorb the shock. :)

Your horse looks like a talented jumper as well. :-)

yeah the stirrups were too short in the jumping in the arena and the picture that shows the back of me going over the jump, oscar took a whole stride out going to that jump so it was a huuuuge jump! lol
yeah i took a few falls there in february that knocked me back a bit so my position isn't as fluid as it used to be but im working on it! I have just started jumping back over 1m recently so i'l get my position back to the way it used to be soon hopefully:)
thanks:) hes a super boy! hes a dark horse so he is. when i bought him i didnt think we'd get far but we've jumped 1.60m (5ft6):)

xLaurenOscarx 12-13-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelhorsegirl (Post 489135)
Not bad at all, but I believe you are way too high out of the saddle. Try to push your butt down into the saddle seat a bit more. Sit low, crouch your tummy to the saddle and push your shoulders back if you are tall. It looks awkward when you are that high up on the horse's neck.

how would crouching your tummy to the saddle do anything or what would that do?
its not really that awkward though because im not leaning on his neck or anything

Sunny06 12-13-2009 02:02 PM

I'm seeing a lot of daylight between you and the saddle. I think I'd lower the stirrups, and try not to jump forward so much. It's the horse jumping. Not you. Let the horse do the work.

xLaurenOscarx 12-13-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny06 (Post 489247)
I'm seeing a lot of daylight between you and the saddle. I think I'd lower the stirrups, and try not to jump forward so much. It's the horse jumping. Not you. Let the horse do the work.

as i said in earlier replies i did have my stirrups very short because im fishing about for the perfect stirrup length which that obviosly isnt lol. also i fing if i jump with longer stirrup i get flung out of the saddle because oscar really uses his back when he jumps.
i really exaggerated going 4ward because recently i havent been giving with my hands as much as i should so i thought it would be better to give to much then too little just till i get confidence back up:)