The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Wintec 2000 saddle - any opinions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/wintec-2000-saddle-any-opinions-4250/)

~MavvyMyBeauty 11-08-2007 04:09 PM

Wintec 2000 saddle - any opinions?

I need to get a new saddle for my boy and i'm thinking about the Wintec 2000. Does anyone have it or used it or anything?

I like the look of it and the fact you can change the size of the gullet if your horse changes shape. It also has air panels instead of flocking.

Click. What do you think?

kitten_Val 11-09-2007 06:38 AM

I got Wintec 500 (no CAIR, but with changeable gullets) couple months back. I personally think it's comfy to ride. However when I was shopping for western saddle last weekend I asked the guy why he doesn't carry Wintec saddles (he has some english in stock, and his prices are very reasonable for both - western and english, so I was surprised not to see english wintec in stock). He told me that he heard about too many accidents with people slipping off wintec saddles. So he used to have them but not anymore. Now I'm thinking may be getting one wasn't that great idea of me. But I do mostly western anyway, so I don't need expensive english one. From other side very respected tack stores such as Dover carry lots of wintec, so it looks like a very popular brand.

~MavvyMyBeauty 11-09-2007 11:27 AM

Hmm, how do you mean slipping off? Most of the horses at the yard have Wintec saddles and I guess it can't be worse than the one i've got now. I really can't afford a leather one. :(

It came with the horse but it doesn't fit him and I think it cost like £80. :shock:

kitten_Val 11-09-2007 12:17 PM

I know what you are saying. That's why I got wintec too - money shortage is always money shortage. :) From what I heard from people, it's good saddle. That guy told me because people returned him the saddles giving the reason (slipping off he meant if you loose balance and slide you just slide all way back to the ground). But as I said if you tried it and liked it (and horse liked it!) than it's just way to go. The expensive stores in my area sell wintec all kinds (I know at least 4 stores), so with such big demand can't be a bad saddle (and 2000 is better than 500).

Equina 11-09-2007 10:54 PM

I rode in a couple Wintecs about 7 years ago. Their technology may have changed since then (especially the addition of changeable gullet & CAIR), but in general, I did not like the Wintec.

1-The saddles I rode were black...but after a while, they faded to a dusty, grayish, boring color.

2-They just felt weird! Also, they had Wintec "leathers" which did not soften like leather and were VERY stiff and plastic feeling. When you ran the irons up and lunged your horse, they would slide down the "leathers" even at a walk and then bang against your horse's sides.

3-I too had the slipping problem. I played Fun Polo (beach ball and brooms) in a Wintec. I would be off balanced a lot in order to take a swing at the ball and the saddle would slide like crazy! I could imagine if your horse spooked or something that threw you off balance...you'd slide right to the ground with the saddle on your horse's belly!

The only benefit I see in the Wintecs are that they're waterproof (for trail riding or if you only have an outdoor arena) and the changeable gullet.

I just looked up the Wintec you mentioned on Dover...$625!!! You could get an amazing brand-name, European, quality saddle (lightly used) that will last forever on eBay for that! Check out the older Crosbys and Stubbens. I just bought a demo-condition Pessoa for $850 and I only spent around $300 for my show-condition Crosby Sovereign PDN (plain flap). Or even check out the used saddles at your local tack shop.

If you're really a fan of the changeable gullet (like, for a young, growing horse), try a Bates..although, even used on eBay they'll run about $1000.

You'll be much happier (and secure in your seat!) in a quality made leather saddle...even if it's previously owned!

lakotalegend15 11-09-2007 11:26 PM

i agree 100%. i have ridden in a wintec, and the ballance piont is way oof then a regular sadlles. the only way it will feel normal is if ou have beenn riding in wintecs our whole life! LOL, and although it is cheeper, you are getting only what you pay for, lol andit does have a slipp factor.

i agree. get used,as long as the leather of the used saddle is not so old that it is stiff or gummy, then it will just be broken in for you a head of time, LOL! and yes, the bates is more expensive, but shop around!look at batesaustralia.com to choose what you want.. don't mnd the price.. you will find it for cheeper! lol try local tack shops amazon.com ebay.com and also, alot of websites that sell horses like isoldmyhorse.com ( it hink, but just as an exap) also have a sell used tack section.
but hey, some people really like wintecs, and you can wear them anywhere! rain, snow they are yours! so do what you think is best, just explore all the options first!

~MavvyMyBeauty 11-12-2007 06:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll definately have a look around. (:

WranglerBlondie93. 11-16-2007 11:45 PM

i think im might be too late to get into this chat but i have a wintec 2000 all purpose and i think its really comfy.
its got the changeable gullet in it too.
i have it for over a month nearly two months but yeah i think that they are very comfy but money is always a problem but its worth it better having something expensive and lasting years then something really cheap and breaking within like a few weeks.