The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Half Chaps (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/half-chaps-42582/)

TheRoughrider21 12-12-2009 06:07 PM

Half Chaps

I have a huge calf(19")and I can't find a tall boot that fits around my calf so today I got paddock boots and will be getting half chaps in the spring. I'm wondering, how many of you ride in paddock boots and half chaps and what kinda of shows you can show with them? Thanks!

Jillyann 12-12-2009 06:09 PM

When I rode english, and showed in local jumping/equitation classes, I wore my paddocks and half chaps. SO much more comfy then tall boots!!

~*~anebel~*~ 12-12-2009 06:18 PM

Half chaps are illegal in rated shows. In order to show - you must have tall boots.
My mother has the same issue, but because of a specialty tack shop in our area was able to order appropriate boots. She does still school in her half chaps though.
I am fairly sure that there are a lot of boot companies that will special order.

Good luck!

Gillian 12-12-2009 06:19 PM

I wear paddock boots and half chaps and do jumping/dressage. But when I start showing I'll invest in tall boots.
I know that you can get tall boots customized to fit you, but it's probably pretty pricey.

TheRoughrider21 12-12-2009 07:22 PM

but is it ok to show in open/local shows in paddock boots and half chaps?

~*~anebel~*~ 12-12-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRoughrider21 (Post 488616)

Call ahead and ask, or check you rule books.

Jillyann 12-15-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRoughrider21 (Post 488616)

Where I show it is more then welcome!

gypsygirl 12-15-2009 09:42 PM

my mum shows at mini events with half chaps & paddock boots. she got really nice leather boots & leather half chaps so you cant even tell shes not wearing tall boots unless you really look.

MIEventer 12-15-2009 09:51 PM

I agree with Anebel. I grew up in strict Pony Club - where Paddock Boots and 1/2 Chaps are a big no no, so I grew up with that mentallity.

Back home, I NEVER saw anyone show - Schooling Shows or Rated Shows, with paddock boots and 1/2 chaps, but then - when I moved here to the U.S, I saw it everywhere.

At first I thought it was disrespectful because of my upbringing in Pony Club - but now, I'm so used to seeing it.

I do agree with Anebel that you should definately call ahead and make sure that the organizers of the show are ok with you wearing paddock boots and 1/2 chaps - just to cover your patunkie.

I do like the leather paddock boots and leather 1/2 chaps - I would definately go that route, instead of the fabric, cheap looking 1/2 chaps.

I also like the idea, to find out how much boots would cost, to have made in your size.

I know that these are not dressage boots - but here are som xxwide field boots:

http://www.equestriancollections.com...es&bc=1&cc=126

gypsygirl 12-15-2009 09:57 PM

^^when i was in pony club i never even schooled in half chaps ! its seems crazy now, my tall boot wore out so fast