The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Buying an equestrian property-worth the investment!?? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/buying-equestrian-property-worth-investment-426586/)

PalominoPrincessx 06-08-2014 02:47 PM

Buying an equestrian property-worth the investment!??

I would really love to keep my horse at home and cut down to the expensive boarding costs but I don't have enough room for a horse (only 1/2 an acre). For a while I just dismissed the idea saying "that's quite a drastic decision!" but now the cost of boarding my horse has increased slightly but it has come to a point where I am lacking in money to buy anything for myself! lol

Anyway, I was a if buying an equestrian property (house, stables, paddocks etc) was worth the money and effort put in! Thanks! x:-P
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 06-08-2014 03:00 PM

It will be cheaper to keep them at home... But you also have to be there 24/7 to care for them. My friend keeps her two horses at home. It takes her roughly 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day to care for each. Will you have time or want to be doing barn chores an hour before you leave for work? What about after? It seems like a good dream, but being outside in the 10 or 110 degree weather gets old fast!! You may think you can pay someone to do the cleaning, but then you have to find someone you trust and someone reliable. Not easy. Then you have to pay them. Even if it's just 10 a day that is still and additional $300 a month. Tack that onto the $400 in horse expenses a month my friend pays and that is $700. She may as well just pay to board and have the piece of mind and less responsibly.

Horses at home definitely aren't for those short of time.
Posted via Mobile Device

PalominoPrincessx 06-08-2014 03:13 PM

Hmmm good points, SlideStop! I'm not really the type of person who pays people to do their jobs for them, I'm more of a If-you-want-something - done - you-have - to - do-it-yourself kind of person! :-P.
I was looking at a few equistrian properties for sale (out of curiosity)and i was surprised to see that quite a lot werent that much more expensive than a normal house!:-D

Ill have to talk with the family first!Although the prospect sounds VERY exciting!!:-D

Frieda 06-08-2014 08:38 PM

The time involved depends on the type of care you want for your horse. A stalled horse will take more time than a pastured horse. It will also cost more.

I couldn't afford my horses if I didn't have my own place. And in fact, having them at home is well more than half the joy of having them. It's such a pleasure to see them first thing in the morning, or be able to go visit them any time, even if just for a few minutes. Much more of a lifestyle than keeping them at a stable.

The downside is that all of the responsibility is on you. If you are ok with that, then I'd say to definitely look into it as an option.

waresbear 06-08-2014 08:48 PM

You won't have any more money by buying a larger equestrian type property, however the money you do sink into that investment will be recoverable if you sell. And yes, it is way, WAY more work and time involved.

MN Tigerstripes 06-08-2014 08:50 PM

It takes me like 15 mins a day to take care of my horses and I have two living at my parent's house.

Pasture maintenance does take some time, as does fence repair, hay storage, and all the little chores you can find, but no where near 2-4 hours a day. Beyond pasture maintenance and heated water trough during the winter (approx $100 a month From Nov-Mar), my two cost me (or my parents) next to nothing. The water trough expense is going away as well because I built a solar powered water trough that works pretty darn well.

There will be some trial and error, talk to various people to find out what their time savers are before you start, both people that do it like you want to and others. If you're like me, work on setting things up to be the easiest/quickest care possible while still being as healthy for the horses as you can make it.

ETA - My parents do very little with my horses and all by their own choice too, so this isn't a case of someone sloughing off work on someone else. I find it very easy for the most part and little "work" to keep my horses.

LemonZeus 06-08-2014 09:29 PM

My two live at home. I honestly wouldn't trade it for boarding in a million years, but that's just me.

You have to figure in safe storage for hay, grain, bedding if you want stalls. Fencing can get up there in cost if you put up your own.

I probably spend an hour to an hour and a half a day normally on the horses More on weekends when I have time, and now an extra two hours since Zeus has been on EPM treatment. 8:00 they go out into whichever pasture is on rotation, including fly spray, fly masks, sunscreen on Zeus's nose. Check water trough and fill. Go to work/school/whatever. Come back and check stall and clean, re-bed if need be. Check water again, fill water bucket in stall. Bring horses in and pick dry lot. Throw Zeus in stall for an hour, give medicine, wait another hour (I groom and clean up the barn to pass the time), then feed both. And do it again the next day!

Weekends I check fences, maybe give horses a bath, general upkeep-type things. It's really not bad at all, but it depends on your schedule, and how much labor you want to put into it :-)

SlideStop 06-08-2014 09:38 PM

Time really will depend on your set up. It take my friend a while because she has a small property. The whole place (house, backyard and barn area) is on 1.8 acres. She stuffs hay nets so it keeps them busy. She also cleans stalls and paddocks twice a day. Honesty, that's really all I know living on Long Island. I could see how having pasture room it would be nice and speedy.
Posted via Mobile Device

MN Tigerstripes 06-08-2014 09:50 PM

Ok, that makes way more sense, SS.

Mine live outdoors, they have about 3 acres of pasture and another 3/4 acre of sacrifice area so plenty of space. I feed a quality round bale in the winter months with a slow feeder net over the top. With as cold as it gets in MN I like them having food in front of them at all times. Summer months sometimes take a little longer if I am putting on fly sheets.

PalominoPrincessx 06-09-2014 04:42 AM

Thanks for the replies! :-)
I think I'll definitely look into it, I really don't like boarding my horse since I don't get to see him as often as I would like.
There's quite a few properties that are worth checking out! :-D
Thanks again! :-P
Posted via Mobile Device