The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   A lot of advice but no wisdom (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/lot-advice-but-no-wisdom-42659/)

JoJo1950 12-13-2009 09:16 PM

A lot of advice but no wisdom

I bought a 5 year quarter horse mare at an auction. Her history is vague but it appears there are no major faults (and is she is beautiful) and she is sound. She is presently being trained three days a week. I believe in the trainer. I am at every training session-I even pay extra because I ask so many questions. On non training days I lounge her and work on ground manners. She is improving everyday. However, I have not ridden her. The plan is to train for about 20 sessions and then I start to take over. Since we do not know her back ground this is felt to be the safest method. I am being criticized for not riding her (other people at the barn), even at the end of the training sessions. I am a 59 year male and have riding experience but not a young body that heals quickly. What are your experiences, idea or thoughts. Thanks for your time and insights.

1dog3cats17rodents 12-13-2009 09:20 PM

It's always better (IMO) to get a trainer to break them in. She will benefit by having a strong, confident, talented rider teach her the ropes, and you will benefit by staying safe and knowing you can be confident on her. If she spooks and you fall while breaking her, it doesn't do either one of you any good.

Good luck with her!

riccil0ve 12-13-2009 09:32 PM

There's a quote from someone, I don't remember who, that says when you're young and fall off, you break bones, but when you get older, you splatter. =]

I'm on the "young" side, but I can definitely understand your reasoning. It would be a lot worse for you to do it yourself and get hurt because you don't know what she's like.

Best of luck with your girl, and post pictures! OH, and welcome to the forum. =]

kevinshorses 12-13-2009 09:41 PM

It's not thier body so why wouldn't they critisize you? If you feel good about how things are going then you should keep doing what you're doing. Eventually you're going to have to ride him and the longer you wait the less time you will have for the trainer to help you. You have to wiegh that against the chance of getting thrown.

Horse Poor 12-13-2009 09:53 PM

Who cares what other people think…they don't have to deal with it, you do. It's your horse, your body, your money and your decision. When you're ready, you'll ride. How long has it been since you've ridden?

Luv 2 Trail 12-13-2009 09:56 PM

:-)People just can't seem to mind their own business sometimes! You have a plan with your trainer and if you are happy with the way things are going, that's what is important! She is YOUR horse and YOU make ALL the decisions about her training! When you are comfortable, you'll be the one that is riding her! I wish you the best of luck with your mare - there are a lot of fun years ahead of you!

Ciscos Mama 12-13-2009 10:36 PM

I am 50 years old, just getting back into horses and i know I am taking things slow with mine. There is no hurry, besides I don't bounce like I used to :). It is hard when others give their opinions, but it's your horse and you can ride it whenever and however yo u want. Its not a competion on how much of a horse trainer you are its about what makes sense for you and your comfort level. I hope you enjoy your new friend.

smrobs 12-13-2009 11:22 PM

Ricci, I think it was Roy Rogers that said that. :D

I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all. If you are more comfortable with the trainer getting most of the "bugs" out first before you get on, then that is what you need to do. I am still young but I have noticed that the ground is harder and it takes longer to heal than it did 10 years ago LOL. Take things at your pace and so long as the horse's training is progressing the way you want, don't worry about it.

tealamutt 12-14-2009 12:21 PM

Another vote for taking your time and having a trainer do the initial riding break in. I got a new horse this fall and was harshly criticized more than once by people at my barn for having gotten such an "unruly" horse with no ground manners, was told to be more firm, was told to smack him, was told to always lead him with a stud chain. "horse bitches" as I call them love to tell everyone how to handle their horse, but almost always have the most uppity dreadful horses themselves. I stuck with my gut and some great advice from the forum and a few months later I have a perfect gentleman who is pretty much my dream horse (granted he has a ton of training under saddle, just had atrocious ground manners).

I think the importance of foundation cannot be underestimated and spending the time to build that now will pay dividends later. And let the trainer work the kinks out undersaddle, you can't buy a new body!

SmoothTrails 12-14-2009 12:27 PM

I would definitely see having someone else get on. My forer trainer was in his 70s,so he had a younger helper that he had trained to get on them the first few times. You just don'g bounce as well. I'm on the young side so I still bounce, but I know my mom has gotten less bouncy over the years...lol. Good luck.