The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Skippy!'s Training/Horse Log (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/skippy-s-training-horse-log-427/)

Skippy! 01-21-2007 10:51 PM

Skippy!'s Training/Horse Log

Finally going to start one of these :)

Sunday, January 21st, 2007

Went out to teach my first sets of lessons in the SC area (i've done oodles of work in AL and CA) and had a wonderful time teaching a 4 year old on her little cheeky registered AMHA mini pony, and a lovely little 8 year old boy riding his 10 year old Arab/Welsh cross pony.

The 4 year old lasted 20 minutes and did absolutely wonderfully, steering all on her own. The little welsh on the other hand was really acting up. She kept popping up in the front and threatening to rear. Finally, she was lunged.. then she still threatened to rear.. so i got on her >) She bucked on me twice, but i didn't even feel it (though my husband was like "OMG DONT FALL OFF" or "OMG THAT WAS CLOSE" bless his heart, i dont know what he was worried about x_x

After the lesson i spent a good bit of time out on the property hanging with all the horses, and met a registered Cremello Paint Horse that i want x_x but i still need to pay off Dreamer and i am having a heck of a time with that x_x urrrgh. The lady offered to let me ride any of her horses which was so sweet! :) I look forward to getting to know them more. Im offering a lot of free services to her because i really enjoy working with her horses. There are a lot of self proclaimed trainers (aka people who read 1 book, and trained 1 horse, and are suddenly "trainers") that were doing so many bonehead stupid things, and offering stupid advice.

I saw a guy who was "desensitizing" a PMU horse by smacking his hands all over her nose and eyes. This guy also seriously pulled up in his truck, got out, walked into the roundpen (where his horse was living, and as soon as his foot was in the roundpen just cracked the heck out of the whip without even saying hello to the horse first. I seriously thought this was the stupidest guy ever x_x Then suddenly he stopped, called the horse to the center, and smacked the horse in the eye/nose to "desensitize" him, then cracked the whip over his back and sent him off.

I offered to train whatever she needed for free so long as she paid my trip charge. I was appalled when i saw how he was treating those horses.. mind you.. horses that aren't his..

Im done XD

sparky 01-21-2007 10:59 PM

great to see you have finally started one of these skippy! :D The 4 year old sounds so cute! How big was the mini she was riding?

Skippy! 01-22-2007 12:14 AM

30 inches even =) No more, no less! But he was like, ten times as wide as he was tall!! LOL! He was a smutty dark buckskin color and uber chunky. He had negative-withers, just a dimple, lol!

There is a 2 year old cremello APHA colt i want XD *needs more money*

These people are really nice, its a shame that the "trainers" they have encountered are so ridiculously moronic. I really can't stand stuck up trainers. I totally schooled that moron though. He suddenly stopped "offering advice" while i was standing there ;)

Fwahaha

barnrat 01-22-2007 01:35 AM

Gah :evil: Those Twisted Trainers..

I was once riding mike and I had Lunged him first..He quickly got hot while working and with his winter coat he worked up a HUGE sweat...So this girl who is taking lessons down at our barn was like That pony is going to have a heart attack, you need to get off him right Now, You should not abuse a horse like that!

Haha, The owner and I got a laugh out of that one, Mike could have 100 heartattacks and somehow manage to be out to kill us...Lol.

hmm....IN that case I sound like the trainer who does not know anything....Lol, I promise you, Mike is fine...He has 30 years left in him...Lol. The point is I was right and the girl just learning about horses is wrong....Of course she was older then me...But what does that always prove?

Skippy! 01-22-2007 02:39 AM

Aww! Barn, i know you better than to think you'd abuse a horse!! ;) *hugs*

In Addition to my post:

Like i said, it seems like anyone who trained one horse and read a book is a trainer. I went out of my way to tell her exactly why i believe i am a trainer, and openly admitted what all trainers should. I do not know everything, and there are cases in which i still ask for help.

One "trainer" there was bragging about how she kept repetitively broke bones, and my client later told me that her first thought when she said that was "Why didnt you do anything to prevent this once it happened?" This "trainer" has trouble catching horses that my client's 13 year old son can easily catch.

Ive been obsessing with that Cremello XD Skippy! needs some self control! Im dying to offload that saddle for some extra cash to finish paying off Dreamer ;;

barnrat 01-22-2007 02:43 AM

awww, I dont think you need another horse You have more then all of this forum combined! Jk, not even close....

I am glad that you know I would not abuse a horse...

And even though I trained mike I would never Say that I train horses! lol, I am constantly reading books too, I Even take classes on this subject.....Lol :lol:

I hope you find someone to buy that saddle!

Skippy! 01-22-2007 02:48 AM

The good thing about the lady i am working with, is i think she really likes me a lot. She has already asked me if i would accompany her to the tack store in Camden and help her select better tack for her horses. It seems like she really trusts me ;;! Imma cry ;; I love feeling needed ;; I think she would be willing to work with me with this Cremello.

Im also like, desperately looking for a horsie place to stay when my husband gets out of the Air Force..

Im so ambitious! LOL

barnrat 01-22-2007 02:52 AM

Dreams....

what would life be without them....(A series of Scammers)

Skippy! 01-22-2007 05:12 PM

Pictures of the Cremello:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...moramaybe2.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...emoramaybe.jpg

Found out more about him, he is a paint (cremello and white). His father is a registered APHA horse, and his mother is a grade palomino paint mare. His name is "Cash" but i want to call him Temora Rose after my white blue eyed unicorn character that i've had for like, 10 years now.

She has offered to let me play with him all i want before i make any decisions, which is great =)

More info later ;D

barnrat 01-22-2007 08:11 PM

Thats really cool skippy