The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   My horses color (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/my-horses-color-42745/)

Pro 12-14-2009 09:04 PM

My horses color

1 Attachment(s)
What is the exact color and name of the markings on my Appaloosa? Nobody around here seems to know...He has changed color lots over the years so the color on his papers is not right anymore. Can someone help me please?

TwisterRush 12-14-2009 09:12 PM

oh this is a toughy !
he does have a blanket though :), and i would say he is a Grey. possibly a fleabitten ? But he has alot of patches, so im not sure LOL

TwisterRush 12-14-2009 09:21 PM

Okay !
I was looking at Horse Colours and patterns and i found this, off of this website : Horse Colours And Patterns

Quote:

Spotted: Spotted is a coat pattern that can be combined with any colour. There are several distinct spotted patterns and each horse is unique. "Leopard Spot" is a white horse with evenly distributed coloured spots, "Near Leopard" is similar to Leopard Spot but with coloured head and legs, "Spotted Blanket" is mainly coloured with a white back and/or hindquarters within which there are coloured spots, "White Blanket" is mainly coloured with a white back and/or hindquarters without spots, "Snowflake" is coloured with white spots over the body, "Frosted Hip" or "Frosted Blanket" is coloured with white frosting or white spots over the loin and hips, "Marble" is coloured at birth but roans with age to almost white, "Few Spot" or "Few Spot Leopard" is white with just a few spots.
Spotted horses of various breeding are also sometimes referred to as Appaloosa, although Appaloosa is in fact a breed of horse with mustang origins.
I think he would either be a Spotted Blanket, or a Snowflake colour, Refering to this website and the following information listed.

Pro 12-14-2009 09:33 PM

I agree... he's almost a mix of both.

mom2pride 12-14-2009 09:49 PM

I think he would be a Varnish Roan, with spots...

When he was younger he probably may have had a more defined blanket, like most roans that start out dark, and lighten.

smrobs 12-14-2009 10:39 PM

^^ That would be my guess too. I believe he is probably a dark bay or maybe brown varnish roan with a blanket. If he was gray, the spots on his rump would be lighter like the rest of his body. And I don't think he is black due to the brownish coloring on his face and hind leg that we can see. It would really help also if we could get a pic of when he was younger just to see what exactly has changed on him. :D

Eastowest 12-15-2009 08:04 AM

I agree, I see a bay varnish roan with a spotted blanket.

Just curious-- are his baby pics on his papers? Was he bay with a white/spotted kind of snow-flake-y-looking blanket when he was a youngster?

What does the description on his papers say-- something like "bay-- white with spots over back and hips"...?

Just for grins, here is an artist's rendition of a "bay roan, spots over body and hips" from the Appaloosa Horse Club website, on the "Registration-guide to identifying an Appaloosa" page--

http://www.appaloosa.com/registratio...es/bayroan.jpg

Eastowest 12-15-2009 08:15 AM

Oh and gotta say-- your guy has a really neat pedigree! I went and looked him up-- he traces to several well known performers and Hall of Fame Appaloosas.
And he's a cutie--looks great for his age!

Here's the link to the ApHC page just for info--
http://www.appaloosa.com/registration/indentify.htm

Pro 12-15-2009 09:55 AM

Thanks everyone.

No I don't have any pics of when he was younger I got him when he was 21. I do have one pic of him when he was 17ish and he had a lot more roan. I will put it up. I've tried to contact his breeder, but she has not been a member of the ApHC since 1994 and her contact info did not work.

Later on today I will check to see what the color on his papers say and show a picture of him in the winter....He really changes. I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Alwaysbehind 12-15-2009 11:25 AM

Aren't there baby pictures on the back of his papers?

I agree with bay varnish roan with a spotted blanket.