The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you think of the horses from Davis ranch?

11K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  leahknape 
#1 ·
I need (want) to get another yearling to bring along. I'm looking seriously at getting one of these yearlings they have posted. Are there any of the horse colts that jump out at you?

index.htm

Thanks,

Curly

#11 ·
Not meaning to be rude but does it seem weird that both people posted within at least 2-5 minutes back and forth from each other?

The horses there are nice looking and well built but with the economy the way it is, prices are not good at all, IMO. The first one pictured is beautiful! But not worth $1500 ;)

#12 ·
Not meaning to be rude but does it seem weird that both people posted within at least 2-5 minutes back and forth from each other?

The horses there are nice looking and well built but with the economy the way it is, prices are not good at all, IMO. The first one pictured is beautiful! But not worth $1500 ;)
Then don't buy it. No I don't think it's weird I have done it a few times myself.

#13 · (Edited)
I have a horse I bought from them as a two year old and he is a very very nice horse. Thier horses have great minds and are very trainable and athletic. You can get cheaper horses but they will be well... cheaper. The Davis's are very nice people as well. What you see is what you get. You would do well with any of thier yearlings but I like the Blue Spark Olena horses.

#22 ·
I have a gelding coming seven that I bought from them, he's got the same type of mind you were talking about. This is the only one I've had from them but I sure like him, thats why I want another.

Horses are no different than anything else. you get what you pay for. I've been "lucky" to have some really great horses. The reason my horses are better than the next guys horses is that I don't mind paying top dollar for a well bred horse.

#14 ·
They have some incredible bloodlines. I really like their stud "Starlight Midnight". His confo is wonderful.

They certainly have some very flashy horses and if I had to pick one, I think I would like to bring this one home.

Dual Sparks DR

Though this is an incredibly nice foal as well (hence the $12,000 pricetag).
Super Cool Cat DR

I watched the NCHA bloodstock auction the other day and the average for a decently bred yearling was $25,000. Though a small portion of the price is for the color, what the money is for here is quality and proven breeding.

Very nice horses.

#17 ·
That is fine and dandy if you want a Friesian or a Warmblood. If you are looking for something like this then the price might make sense to you.

Just because they are not what you want does not mean they are not worth anything.

#18 ·
This one

Montana Spark DR
2008 Red Roan Filly
(by Blue Spark Olena and out of Docs Montana Dove)

I love this coloring

Talk about an eye catcher
Diamonds Are Smokn DR
2008 Bay Roan Overo Stallion
(by Smokn Black Starlight and out Smoky Lucky Lena DR)
Selling Price: $2500

And I'd probably walk away with this one

Shes Full of Nitro DR
2008 Bay Filly
(by Duals Blue Nitro and out of Shezalilbitoftrouble)
Selling Price: $700

#23 ·

Talk about an eye catcher
Diamonds Are Smokn DR
2008 Bay Roan Overo Stallion
(by Smokn Black Starlight and out Smoky Lucky Lena DR)

Oh, my, goodness. If I wasn't pregnant right now I would totally be calling them up and flying out to see this guy. I'm not even a paint person (and I show Buckskin circuit) but his color is AMAZING.

#21 ·
IF I had the money and I was looking for a stock horse I would buy any of those guys. They all have really nice color and confirmation. You pay big $$ to get good horses from a good breeder. Its not that much considering what a stud fee (from a top producer) and mare care might cost. My friend thought I paid too much for my $750 weanling. Well around here babies dont usually go under $700-500, unless you pull one from the auction.

#31 ·
Comparing a well bred QH colt sold for $12,000 to a Friesian or Warmblood is like comparing an apple to an old sneaker, there is nothing to compare. These horses are from practically different worlds, I personally wouldn't spend a penny on either Friesian or WB seeing as I am a western rider, neither has what I look for in a horse. It probably seems the same to you. But if you look at what a good colt out of good stock can bring back from show and siring earnings, $12,000 is chump change and a very good investment.

These foals look amazing, and if they are from good proven stock and a reputable breeder then they are worth their weight in gold. I love that blue eyed paint, he is a doll!

#32 ·
Curly, what kind of project are you wanting to work on? I have 2 mares and a gelding from a man I know in Kansas. He also has top-of-the-line breed lines, AQHA, that is. He breeds color, and his stallion is out of Bar Money Sunny, the buckskin legend, read about him here:

Bar Money Sunny, highest champion producing Buckskin stallion

If you click on the offspring tab, you can see what his babies have produced. There is a picture of a yearling, JJM Sunny Star (The name has been changed to Bar Money Star) Which is my friend in Kansas' stud. Here's some of his achievements:
ABRA ROM Reining
ABRA Western Riding ROM
1998 ABRA Honor Roll Champion Working Ranch Horse
1998 ABRA Honor Roll Reining
1998 ABRA Honor Roll Western Riding

In 1997, Starby lost an eye. So all those honor rolls were done with ONE EYE. He is also gray. Not just any ol' ucky gray, but the silver kind, where he shines like a nickel in the sun! He has beautiful black points, and throws nothing but color. I know Kevin has 4 yearlings at the moment, and 4 weanlings too, if you are interested, I'll get you some pictures.

And I tell you what, these horses Kevin raises are some of the biggest babies you'll ever meet. Talk about get-up and go, they've got it when you ask for it. They are a part of Kevin's family from the minute they hit the ground, and are gentle enough that if they're laying out sunning, you can go lay on them! They have tremendous brain, and are too smart to get you in a bind.

I have a 6yr old mare, a 4 yr old gelding, and a 2 yr old mare, and I'll never buy from anyone else.

And his colts are selling for $1200-1500, I believe.

In fact, I'm going to call and get pictures and pedigrees anyway.
1995 Buckskin Stallion
Bar Money Sunny x Bar Star Queen

• ABRA ROM Reining
  • ABRA Western Riding ROM
  • 1998 ABRA Honor Roll Champion Working Ranch Horse
  • 1998 ABRA Honor Roll Reining
  • 1998 ABRA Honor Roll Western Riding

1995 Buckskin Stallion
Bar Money Sunny x Bar Star Queen

• ABRA ROM Reining
  • ABRA Western Riding ROM
  • 1998 ABRA Honor Roll Champion Working Ranch Horse
  • 1998 ABRA Honor Roll Reining
  • 1998 ABRA Honor Roll Western Riding

Look for my posts!

#33 ·
i love this one!!!!!!! if i lived any where near it then i would get this one!!! may be outta your price range im not sure but this one will be a great horse!!!

Lucky Gold Dunit DR
Palomino Stallion (4/23/09)
(by Dunit With Gold and out Lucky Doc DR)

Lucky Gold Dunit DR is out of one of our best producing mares. Lucky Doc DR always has a gorgeous foal and this year is no exception. If you are looking for a pretty gelding to rein or rope on take a look at this one. He has a pretty head, clean neck, and a big hip. Many of the previous colts out of this mare have made very nice horses.​

#35 ·
The blue 2 year old mare I just bought out of Nebraska was delivered today, I wont buy a yearling until after xmas, but its sure fun to look.

The palomino, that you guys are looking at is a nice thick made horse, I saw that one in person and looked it over close.
I wish somebody who knows how would post the picture of that 08 buckskin colt they have posted. His name was "advantage" something. That horse is a grandson of Hollywood Dun It. The buckskins picture does not do him justice, I wish they would put up another.

#37 ·
The first one that caught my eye was this buckskin roan. I may have to find out who they sold her to and go steal her.

Miss A Spark DR
Bay Roan Filly (3/25/08)
(by Shining Sparkler and out of Miss Roan Red)
Selling Price: $1800
SOLD (Jerry Hostetler, Nebraska)
Miss A Spark DR is a class act that appears to have both the roan and buckskin color genes. She has a big hip and a pretty head. Her dam is 15-2 hands tall and this filly should mature to be a little over 15 hands.​

And I think this is the one that you are talking about, curly.

Advantage Dunit DR
Buckskin Stallion (4/13/08)
(by Dunit With Gold and out of WSR Santans Advantage)

Advantage Dunit DR is a very balanced buckskin colt with a very good pedigree. He is by Dunit With Gold by All-Time Leading reining horse sire Hollywood Dunit. His dam is a daughter of Hickorys Advantage (LTE $130,493) and out of Miss Santana Doc who has produced the earners of over $300,000. This colt should be able to do about anything you want to do on him. We rode the oldest colt (2 year old) out of WSR Santans Advantage and he was a very nice performance prospect.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.