The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Starting a 6 year old QH Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/starting-6-year-old-qh-mare-42757/)

HorseGurl27 12-14-2009 11:31 PM

Starting a 6 year old QH Mare

I received an early Christmas present from my aunt. :-) A 6 year old QH Mare. So far she has only had a saddle on her back, a bit in her mouth, and maybe lounged around 7-9 times in her life. Real cute mare well built about 15.2 h.h. and stocky with some Zippo Pine Bar in her blood. Shes really light on her feet in the pasture and looks like a smooth ride. Shes a little spooky at times but I've been working with running a plastic bag on her while she eats in her stall and so far it doesn't phase her. It seems like she wants to learn and so far I feel like shes a little kid following me around. I've never started one that old some I'm a little curious on how its going to be.

Anyone have any experience starting an older horse?

mom2pride 12-14-2009 11:35 PM

If you've started horses before, this won't be too much different; she may just progress a little slower than, say, a 2 or 3 year old.

kevinshorses 12-15-2009 01:03 AM

She will probably be easier than a 2 or 3 year old. She will have more confidence and a better mind than a younger horse.

5cuetrain 12-15-2009 11:17 AM

Starting older horses can go either way. Kind of depends on how many bad habits and memories of bad things are lurking in their minds. Usually you have to undo some things before you can start to move forward. Usually a reason why they havn't been started before.

Find a system that you like and get with someone who can help you if and when you get stuck.

HorseGurl27 12-16-2009 11:58 AM

thank you

morgangoolsby 12-16-2009 02:22 PM

I just finished a 14 year old rocky mountian mare. I dont think it makes much difference. I think babies are more open minded to learning then an older horse, but you can still break a older horse

taylor12 12-16-2009 02:55 PM

I think your have a good aged horse im working with a 6 year old and his daughter a 11 month old miniature horse. (Both dad mom and baby are miniature).The father (bubba) is VERY bad he nudges away,wiggly,bites,bucks,kicks,and rears.The baby (Stella) just yesterday learned the basics (stopping and walking).

Thanks!

Taylor

kevinshorses 12-16-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor12 (Post 492224)
I think your have a good aged horse im working with a 6 year old and his daughter a 11 month old miniature horse. (Both dad mom and baby are miniature).The father (bubba) is VERY bad he nudges away,wiggly,bites,bucks,kicks,and rears.The baby (Stella) just yesterday learned the basics (stopping and walking).

Thanks!

Taylor

Is this the 11 month old filly that you're riding?

ZiggyKlepto 12-17-2009 03:39 PM

I don't have much to compare to, but I gentled a 6 year old Mustang (will be saddle breaking next spring/summer) and I found it *much* easier than my younger horse. The nice thing about the older horses is they're past the "goofy baby stage". They actually have an attention span! It's crazy.

Just take your time. It might take a little more repetition for it to sync in.