The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   who knows about ring bone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/who-knows-about-ring-bone-42775/)

strawboss 12-15-2009 07:43 AM

who knows about ring bone?

i have a 5yo mare (just got her) who has what i think is ring bone. haven't taken her to the vet, but think i have this right.
i've read on the subject but never dealt with it and wanted to know if someone out there has, and if there is something other than surgery that will make her sound. it's on her right hind pastern and causes her to limp.
i think it's something i'll have to live with but would like to ride her if i can get her sound.
who knows what?

tealamutt 12-15-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawboss (Post 490890)
i have a 5yo mare (just got her) who has what i think is ring bone. haven't taken her to the vet, but think i have this right.
i've read on the subject but never dealt with it and wanted to know if someone out there has, and if there is something other than surgery that will make her sound. it's on her right hind pastern and causes her to limp.
i think it's something i'll have to live with but would like to ride her if i can get her sound.
who knows what?

Any lameness should be evaluated by your vet and they will be able to give you a prognosis as to whether or not she'll ever be sound enough to ride. Five seems young for ringbone, but I'm sure others will have better information for you on that! Best of luck to you.

Alwaysbehind 12-15-2009 10:45 AM

What makes you think the lameness is caused by ring bone?

If your horse has been lame with out a real diagnosis for some time I think calling a vet out is the only fair thing to do.

sillybunny11486 12-15-2009 10:48 AM

You need xray to know for sure. there is no cure or surgery that i know of. you treat it, stabilize the problem and go from there.

MN Tigerstripes 12-15-2009 10:53 AM

What everyone else said. You need xrays to diagnose the problem and then you can go from there. From what I've read if it is ringbone she won't be sound again and the problem will progressively get worse. Management usually involves correct trimming to make sure that breakover is good and the hoof is balanced, i.e. get rid of long toes/short heels as well as pain management.

strawboss 12-15-2009 12:41 PM

i understand what you all say is true. i have been told that supplements can help. that's what i had hoped to find out.
from what i see, i believe she cracked her pastern bone and it's built a calcium deposit, or it's ring bone. i don't believe she'll ever be sound to ride, but like to learn new things. from what i know, i think this happened when she was a two yo.
thanks for the input.

sillybunny11486 12-15-2009 12:44 PM

supplements can add vitamins/minerals to help it heal, but its all up to your mare. if its arthritic or joint related talk to your vet about joint supplements, after he diagnoses her.

Luv 2 Trail 12-15-2009 01:00 PM

:-(My mare was just diagnosed with ringbone - NOT what I wanted to hear. I am certainly not an expert, but I have done so much research my head is spinning! I was told ringbone USUALLY affects the front feet - it causes heat and swelling over the foot - x-rays would show if/where any new bone growth had developed - a positive sign of the disease.
Ringbone is the result of some traumatic disturbance to the outer fibrous covering of the bone and that causes new bone growth - it usually developes into osteoarthritis (a severe type of arthritis) of the pastern or coffin joint. My Vet blames my mare's ringbone on poor conformation (PLUS she is a Reiner) -- a base-wide horse -- there is HIGH ringbone - LOW ringbone - ARTICULAR ringbone, or true ringbone and PERIARTICULAR ringbone, or false ringbone. Each type affects a different area/surface in the foot. There are ways to deal with ringbone, but the disease is not reversable. My Vet had my farrier shoe my mare specificaly for ringbone and that did help aleviate some of her pain. My Vet is talking about injecting her pastern joints and putting her on glucosamine/HA injections - she said medications are a first step in dealing with the ringbone. The different types of ringbone respond to different treatment so your Vet would need to do some x-rays and diagnose the specific type of ringbone that your horse is dealing with before any proper and exact treatment could be started. My Vet said surgery is the last option, so we will discuss surgery at a later date. I am hoping that with proper shoes, helpful supplements and medications, my girl will be sound so she can continue to enjoy trail rides. I'll have to see - there are no guarantees with this devistating disease. My Vet doesn't want to rush into anything - she is more consertative, which I like. I am afraid this is going to be a battle for us but I am up for the fight! My mare has never taken a lame step in all her 15 years, until now - I am still in denial and shock! I would suggest talking to your Vet and see if you are dealing with ringbone - I don't know about the hind feet being affected. In all the reading I've done I can't remember any articles about hind feet ringbone - BUT.....I don't know for sure.
I hope you don't have to deal with ringbone - this has been one of the most disheartening situations I've ever had to endure! Wishing you the best of luck and I hope you will get better news from your Vet than I did from mine!

farmpony84 12-15-2009 01:49 PM

My walking horse had ring bone. We put him on a supplement with glucosomine and because he was older we gave him bute when he was having really bad days. The farrier is your best friend with a horse with ring bone, him keeping the toes short is what kept my horse mobile for his years. It's basically a calsification process. It's very painful as it progresses. I would definitely seek a vet out on this if it's what you think it is. Mine was in the front two feet. His back feet were fine.

I'm actually thinking your horse may have an arthritis issue in the back. I'd have it checked. If you can't afford x-rays they can certainly give you an idea of what "could be" the problem and at least get you pointed in the right direction....

strawboss 12-15-2009 05:51 PM

thanks again.
my farrier trimmed her when she came here as her feet were real bad and she wouldn't let me do it. he said he thought it was ring bone as it appears to come from the joint and grows up the bone. she's had little training and came here in a stock trailer untethered. she won't load into the trailer or stand quietly tied. i would have taken her to my vet before this if she would trailer. all this is training and i got that covered, but it takes time. she showed more problems with the foot after being hauled here than before the trip. i'm sure that that trip has caused her to not want to take another ride or go back into a trailer.
well i'm sure i'm getting another lesson in horse health. the more horses that a person deals with, the more lessons learned.
when i've gotten her to stand quietly tied and to load and stand quietly in the trailer, i'll haul her to my vet and settle the issue of what the problem is. after it has a name, we'll deal with the cure, or not as the situation dictates.
still interested in knowing all i can find about supplements for joint and bone health/healing.