The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Exercises for horse and rider (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/exercises-horse-rider-42790/)

appylover31803 12-15-2009 12:24 PM

Exercises for horse and rider

For those that don't know, I got pregnant back in February and stopped riding until I had my baby. Well I had my son in October and plan to start up riding again in the spring (its too cold now to start up again)

I am obviously out of riding shape and would love some exercises to get my body back into the shape it was (or close to it). What are some exercises I can do?

And then, once the spring comes and I do start riding again, my mare is going to be very out of shape. Should I do a lot of lunging/long lining to get her in shape/build up muscles again from the ground? or should I ride? or a combination of the two?

Would ring work or trail riding be better for getting the both us back into shape?

Thanks in advance!

sillybunny11486 12-15-2009 12:47 PM

you could start by going on walks with your horse. make them longer, and maybe on different terrain as you both start getting more fit. you can search online for specific exercises that help with riding. Have you though about ankle weights and core body workouts. Riding is mostly your core.

kitten_Val 12-15-2009 03:14 PM

You still probably want to start with ground work and lunging to get your horse in "working" mood. That's what I usually do (my horses are off for the winter usually with all this horrible weather we are having). I do ground work and lunging for week, then I start riding, but build up slowly. Like 20-30 mins first week mostly walk with some trot, more trot next week, then more riding time, and so on. It's somewhat similar how you put them on grass. LoL! Just increase it gradually. I also prefer to take lessons on lesson horses for about month before I start riding mine again - it certainly keeps me in shape.

BTW, congrats on baby! :D