The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What are your horses up to? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-your-horses-up-42794/)

mom2pride 12-15-2009 01:49 PM

What are your horses up to?

This is what my horses are learning at the moment...well, they are learning how to bow, as well, but I can't take pics at the same time they are bowing!!! Blue is the first one who's gotten laying down!

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1388378_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...90_20104_n.jpg

And I couldn't resist sitting on Blue...Lol! He didn't even care!

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3963806_n.jpg

Angelhorsegirl 12-15-2009 06:23 PM

My horse is currently being trained to gallop under saddle as he is only broke walk, trot, canter (and only canter with me). BUT we use him as a lesson pony, so he needs better manners. HOW ON EARTH DO YOU TRAIN THEM THESE TRICKS?!? That is so cool! :-)

mom2pride 12-15-2009 08:30 PM

Lots of patience, and several times a day; just short sessions, so they don't get frustrated...it's done in steps...

Marrissa 12-15-2009 08:41 PM

That's one thing I want to teach mr Brego is to bow. I know how to do it I just never get around to actually doing it.

Angelhorse- it's pretty much like training your average dog... except when you're teaching them you can't make them lay down like you can a dog. For bowing you start with a treat and get them to put their head between their knees, then you start getting them to go down farther and reach for the treat more while picking up their leg, eventually they'll become used to stretching out with that leg up and will be bowing. It's hard to explain easier to show. Lots of treats and take it slowly. Reward any step in the right direction.

After bowing you can move on to lay down.

My boy is just growing up. He knows what he needs to for his age and does his jobs well (letting me toss things all over him, leading, loading, moving away from pressure, saddling, following me, etc).

You have a cute horse by the way! :D

dashygirl 12-15-2009 10:56 PM

I hope to train Dash to longe over this Xmas break when I'm home for a few weeks.

mom2pride 12-16-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marrissa (Post 491606)
My boy is just growing up. He knows what he needs to for his age and does his jobs well (letting me toss things all over him, leading, loading, moving away from pressure, saddling, following me, etc).

You have a cute horse by the way! :D

Actually Blue is one of the horses I am currently training, for the school I work at (and live at!Haha). The cutie in the avator (not the human), is my horse and her name is Flicka.

Oh, yeah, Flicka got more desensitization (and subsequent clippering) with the clippers today...she got all her pretty white legs clipped. Next fall I may start body clipping her, as well as do some showing some this coming summer\fall. I want her to be ready for that!

LadyDreamer 12-16-2009 01:04 AM

The weanlings are being drilled at leading for the long walk to the lower barn.

Dan is about to be brought in so that I can finish breaking him to ride.

My other 2yo is being long lined and climbed around on, however I have not gotten the nerve to get all the way on him.

Hunter65 12-16-2009 06:26 PM

Hunter is going for some training on Jan 1st. We both need a refresher and he is starting to act like the spoiled 2 year old that he is. He will be trained on the bit and saddle as well so come summer we can start doing some light riding.

Gillian 12-16-2009 06:50 PM

Along with our back to basics dressage work, I'm teaching Zeus to bow. He's so smart, why not teach him a few tricks? The harmless ones anyway. :] After he masters it on the ground I'd LOVE to teach him to bow undersaddle. That would be so fun. He'll already reach all the way down between his hooves and let me pick up his leg at the same time. So next thing I hope to accomplish is getting him comfortable with resting his leg on the ground. Baby steps! Ha ha. Only been working on it for a few days. And only like two or three times each day. He's catching on so fast!

HalfPass 12-16-2009 07:09 PM

Hey everyone.
Well my mare Candi is leaving for training tomorrow. I am scared excited, and sad and happy all at the same time...She really needs it and it will be all wonderful in the end.
My gelding ....well he is so funny. He does not want one bit to do with SNOW! I swear he will barley step out into the stuff! The guys shoveled some out of the paddocks today and with a bit of warmer temps you can almost see dirt!...well mud anyway. He is not being ridden at the moment because of his joint issues.
So I am in a sense without a horse to ride..
I willl go and visit Candi as often as I can. I will be sad when the trailer leaves with her in it tomorrow....
Halfpass