The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Could someone describe the paint colours to me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/could-someone-describe-paint-colours-me-42822/)

dynamite. 12-15-2009 06:32 PM

Could someone describe the paint colours to me?

I tried to read the wikipedia article but their descriptions were confusing:?
Anyways, I only thought that overo was when the horse had white spots on a base coat, and skewbald was when they were chestnut on white, and piebald was black on white until I came here. Now I see people using all these other terms like Tobiano and tovero and such. If you don't mind, could you explain what these all mean? Thanks:-)

Taihoa 12-16-2009 03:57 AM

Pintos (not paints) are a pattern NOT a colour. You can have a paint horse with pinto patterns, or a paint horse with solid colouring. Pintos can be of any breeding.
We longer refer to them as piebald or skewbald as there are SO many different colours now they are just referred to as their base colour and white e.g. grey/white, bay/white, chestnut/white, black/white, dun/white.
I'll link you to the NZ Pinto society where they explain the patters - depending on how your horse is marked, depends on the pattern. Obviously genetics comes into it as well but basically there are 3 main patterns - Tobiano (most common), Overo & Tovero which is a combination of the two.
Hopefully this link works :)
New Zealand Pinto Society

Supermane 12-16-2009 01:22 PM

This may help:
http://www.equusite.com/articles/bas...orsPaint.shtml

sillybunny11486 12-16-2009 02:10 PM

I got a free poster from APHA, you might be able to find it online somewere.

ridesapaintedpony 12-20-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamite. (Post 491421)
I tried to read the wikipedia article but their descriptions were confusing:?
Anyways, I only thought that overo was when the horse had white spots on a base coat, and skewbald was when they were chestnut on white, and piebald was black on white until I came here. Now I see people using all these other terms like Tobiano and tovero and such. If you don't mind, could you explain what these all mean? Thanks:-)

APHA.Com - Tobiano Pattern

APHA.Com - Overo Pattern

APHA.Com - Tovero Pattern

CheyAut 12-22-2009 03:17 AM

Well, there's tobiano and several different overos: Sabino, splash, frame, and dominant white. "Tovero" is just a horse with tobiano and at least one overo. It is VERY common to have mulitple patterns. A great place to learn is www.equine-color.info

SorrelHorse 12-24-2009 01:28 AM

Here's my basic understanding:

Overo - Pattern most often has a white face, and the white will NOT cross over the back of the horse. White over the neck is okay. (Note: Splash white Overo's have four white socks, looking like they were "dipped in paint")

Tobiano - Most likely won't have a white face, and white crosses over the back of the horses body.

Tovero - Whie crosses over the back of the horse, and horse has a white face. Combination of the two, where the horse is more white than the other color.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that is a BASIC description. Good enough to get you by.

SouthCreekPaints 12-27-2009 12:03 PM

The most simple way to discribe the patterns is as follows(these are general rules, simple and not in debth)

Overo-jagged spots. rough around the edges. They have a "puzzle piece" look about them. these horses likely have a bald face.

tobiano- more rounded spots. smoother edged. The markings on their faces are like any regular horse. They can have a snip, stripe, star etc. Overos dont

tovero-a cross between the 2. i could describe it to you but you would need to see one.

Paint is a breed...just like Quarter horse, arabian,etc. Pinto is a color breed. All paints are pintos but not all pintos are paints. Pintos can be anything with the painted coloring...arabian crosses,ponies, etc.

Vidaloco 12-27-2009 12:06 PM

I always remember OVERo as the color goes OVER the back :lol:

ponyboy 12-27-2009 05:56 PM

Just wanted to point out that the colors people are posting are APHA descriptions not genetic differences. If you go by genetics the definitions are a little different.