The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   How to teach/ signal for... (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/how-teach-signal-42848/)

StormyBlues 12-15-2009 10:29 PM

How to teach/ signal for...

A shoulder in and haunches in. I'm 90% sure Geof knows it because he has an AMAZING basis in dressage and was trained(some training done with) a top level dressage rider.

So how do you ask for them? How should my legs, seat, arms, hands, etc. ask? I really want to get alot of dressage work in, because I think that helps ALOT on XC! Lol

Also, I'm having some trouble with the flying changes, it is probably me asking wrong. I get him straight on the diagonal across, then do just as I would ask for the opisate lead, sometimes he does it, sometimes he just starts extending his canter. I always make him do at least a simple change, so he gets that I'm asking for the other lead, but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks Dressage girls!!!!! Ya'll have been a big help to me latly!:D:D

Spastic_Dove 12-15-2009 10:55 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/shoulders-41893/

A thread I had with a similar question :) I got some clarity from the responses

StormyBlues 12-15-2009 11:00 PM

^THANKS! I will be adding that book MIE showed to my Xmas list!

gypsygirl 12-15-2009 11:04 PM

for the flying lead changes, i would start out by cutting across the arena from B to E & asking for the change at X. i always try to change bend pretty dramatically at first & ask like you would ask for the canter from the trot or walk, lots of outside leg [new outside leg of course]. also if they arent getting it a will give them a tap with the crop behind my new outside leg. once they can do it like that you can start crossing the short diagonal & then the diagonal, but at first that is usually not enough bend change for them IMO

some people like to put a pole down, but that has never worked for me.

StormyBlues 12-15-2009 11:11 PM

That doesn't make sense, you have to be straight for the change.

gypsygirl 12-15-2009 11:15 PM

the change takes place between one bend to the other

Kayty 12-16-2009 12:45 AM

Yep when you start changes I find that it's much easier to teach it by dramatically changing the bend. I usually do in on a figure of 8. SO get a nice steady, SOFT canter happening, and then as you get to the centre of the 8, swap your aids and really sit to the side of the other lead while changing the bend.
I find it hard to explain what I mean over the net obviously! I would just go and get a good dressage instructor.
Also, does your horse know simple changes? If not, I owuldn't even be THINKING about flying changes.

eventerwannabe 12-16-2009 01:08 AM

I am am more of a hunter rider, so I know how hunters do it. But how I have learned to do it is act like you are asking for the canter. So if you want the right lead (and you are on the left lead) you would push your right leg back and keep your left leg at the girth. I always push my leg back super far when I am working with a new horse or am refreshing the horse on how to do a lead change. So when I push my right leg back, I pick up my left rein a little (must have contact for this to work).
^^ This should work in half seat or full seat.

You and your horse have to be very in touch with eachother to get a good lead change. Horses that are well trained will do auto changes (more of a hunter thing) when they are on the wrong lead.

I dont know how dressage riders are supposed to ask for a lead change, sorry! Just though I would share how I know how to. =]

Again, this is just how I know how to do a lead change and I am more of a hunter rider. :p

wild_spot 12-16-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

That doesn't make sense, you have to be straight for the change.
The horses body has to be straight for the change - But the easiest way to teach or begin flys, is by using the change of bend between two circles. It is much clearer to the horse what you are asking.

At ASH shows, in all working classes, flys are asked for between circles.

You need to make sure you have a very short, bouncy, together canter - It takes a lot of rear energy for a horse to do a flying change properly, from behind.

I will often ride a figure 8 - And start out by doing a simple change through walk on the straight - Gradually decreasing the number of steps of walk - Eventually phasing out the walk.

letsgetserious 12-16-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerwannabe (Post 491856)
I am am more of a hunter rider, so I know how hunters do it. But how I have learned to do it is act like you are asking for the canter. So if you want the right lead (and you are on the left lead) you would push your right leg back and keep your left leg at the girth. I always push my leg back super far when I am working with a new horse or am refreshing the horse on how to do a lead change. So when I push my right leg back, I pick up my left rein a little (must have contact for this to work).
^^ This should work in half seat or full seat.

You and your horse have to be very in touch with eachother to get a good lead change. Horses that are well trained will do auto changes (more of a hunter thing) when they are on the wrong lead.

I dont know how dressage riders are supposed to ask for a lead change, sorry! Just though I would share how I know how to. =]

Again, this is just how I know how to do a lead change and I am more of a hunter rider. :p

If I was on the left lead and wanted the right, I would move my left leg back because thats the leg you want him to start pushing off of instead of the right.