The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Any Centered Riders out there!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/any-centered-riders-out-there-4285/)

Stepher 11-11-2007 06:59 PM

Any Centered Riders out there!?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that did Centered Riding? If you do, what discipline do you do and how has it helped your riding?
I've been doing it for about 4 years now, and have found it to be VERY helpful, and it has changed my perspective on almost every aspect of riding. Currently I'm getting ready for next years show season where I will be doing jumper.

Stepher 11-18-2007 05:57 PM

No centered riders out there?
Has anyone ever even heard of it?

englishcowgrl 11-26-2007 03:39 PM

What is it exactly?

Stepher 11-27-2007 12:20 PM

Well, because Im not very good at explaining things, I'm just going to copy and paste a thing from the site.

"Centered Riding® is an innovative way of expressing the classical principles of riding, using body awareness, centering, and imagery. Centered Riding® encompasses all seats and styles of riding. It teaches a language that allows clearer communication between horse, rider, and instructor. Centered Riding® was developed by Sally Swift, author of the best-selling book and videotapes, and is now taught by Centered Riding Instructors around the world.

Centered Riding® is based on a knowledge of human and horse anatomy, balance, movement, and on understanding how the mind affects the body and how both affect the horse. It uses centering and grounding techniques from the oriental martial arts, along with body awareness, mental imagery and sports psychology. Through increasing body awareness, inhibiting old patterns, and replacing them with a more balanced, free, and coordinated use of self, both horse and rider can move more freely and comfortably, and develop their best performance. "

taken from: www.centeredriding.org

Miss Dent 11-28-2007 03:55 PM

wow i've never heard of it, but sound very interesting, i might go look it up now and read up on it!