The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saddle Fit Issues- Recommendations?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  iridehorses 
#1 ·
OOOK so we have a problem.
We have an awesome little 5 year old grade QH. Built like a total bulldog. Pretty mutton withered and his back is like a freaking table. NO JOKE. We have tried a FQHB Billy Cook- lifted up in back. Tried a Carl Ammerman and it... guess what... lifted up even MORE in back. When I called his shop, he was out, but someone told me that it sounded like it was too wide through the shoulders for our little guy. So we're selling our Ammerman and on the hunt for a saddle that MIIIIIIGHT possibly fit him.

Anyone who has had trouble like this before I would love to hear what saddle brands worked for you.

We are using it for light arena work, trail riding, and overall pleasure riding.

The other issue is that we need a 16" seat (possibly could do a 15.5") and those tend to be 28" skirts.... too long for our little guy. So.... yeah... any help would be good help!!!

Not good pics but hey, they're what I have handy.
Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Stallion

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Mare

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Pony Mare

And one just cause hes CUTE
Mammal Horse Vertebrate Mane Terrestrial animal

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree with Kevin and your other assessment about saddle fit. Too low in the front gives you too high in the back. I use this method for checking saddles when I can't take my horse to the tack shop. It is as accurate as can be since it is taken directly off your horse:

Go to the hardware store and get about 4’ of 12 or 14 gauge house wire (the kind electricians use to wire a house) and cut it in half. This was written for Western saddles but the principle is the same for English or Australian.

Take 2’ and shape it over your horse’s withers. Take the other 2’ and shape it over the center of his back.

Carefully take the wires and trace the inside of the wire on a heavy piece of cardboard (or poster board if you have it). Cut out the cardboard shapes and take them to the saddle shop to fit against some saddles.

This part is Western: Keep in mind that QH bars in one saddle may not be the same in another brand. There are no standards for saddle trees so each manufacturer has his own idea what dimensions make the designations
As for you, your bum should not be squished against the cantle, it should have a little room at the top and there should be about 4" of space between your tummy and the swell.

#4 ·
Well I threw my Black Rhino #1 bars (equiv. to semi bars) on him and they were too narrow. As for seat size... my mom needs a 16" and I need a 15.5 so we're going to split the difference for whatever works best for him. We dont want the skirt rubbing him too much. I'll try the tracing thing but this little guy really is built like a bulldog through the back but with narrow(ish) shoulders...
Any recommendations of brands?

#5 ·
I'll try the tracing thing but this little guy really is built like a bulldog through the back but with narrow(ish) shoulders...
Any recommendations of brands?
That's a tough combination. I went through 1/2 dozen saddles when trying to fit QH a couple of years ago. I ended up using a buildup pad under the gullet which held the front up while still fitting his back.

As for brand, it depends on your budget and if you want a new or used saddle.

#7 · (Edited)
I had a lot of reservations about a Corriente saddle - I had just sold an expensive saddle I had because it didn't fit me (although it fit my horse well) and with finances being the way they were, I didn't want to spend over $1,000 if I could. Used was certainly the best way to go.

I had looked at the Corriente for a long time and for the money I expected it to be junk but the price was a big draw. I ordered the 17" roughout Wade in med. oil with full tooling and round skirts. It was their highest price Wade saddle and it is an unbelievable value for the money. VERY well made and solid.

The problem for you may be that, regardless of the gullet size being 7", it is for a wide horse. What I had to do is to use a 7/8" 5 star pad plus a doubled HD Navajo to keep the gullet off his withers. Sweat marks are good and the bars are contacting all around and after several 4-5 hour rides, he is not sore anywhere so I'm a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.