The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   truck vs barn chores (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/truck-vs-barn-chores-4286/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 11-11-2007 07:19 PM

truck vs barn chores

it look's like my almost 14 year old daughter (my little abby) will be getting my husbands old pick up truck as her first wheels (i think i'm fine with that :? :? :? ) my rule is that she has to come up with the deductable ($250) on the insurence but being to young to work, i have to come with some intrusting ways for her to do some work on the farm for me, she can work next dor doing work (mucking out the barn) for gas and baby sitting, but in order to really earn the truck i really want to put her to work for it!! it's not like our horses where she was just given one (that's diffrent) BTW the truck will be stored in a out building untill she can get her permit. any one have any really good ideas for her to earn for this?

Stepher 11-11-2007 09:49 PM

I think you have the right idea; have her do chores around the house and barn to pay for it; thats what my mom did before I got a job. I had a list of chores that needed to be done every weekday morning (in the summer, or after school in winter) before I was allowed to go anywhere. You could pay her by the hour; or by the day. If you decide to pay for the day, just try and make sure that its about the same amount of work each day.

Vidaloco 11-12-2007 09:17 AM

If I remember right my mom paid us on piece work. We had regular chores that we were expected to do without pay, but if we wanted money we had extra things to do. Like so much for a load of laundry etc. My dad had to wear dress shirts so we got .25 a shirt for ironing (hey it was the 70's .25 wasn't bad) you get the idea anyway. You could set up a pay rate for different jobs and she can chose what she wants to do for each job.
My first "car" was my dads old pick-up too, but had to share it with 2 older sisters. Sure was glad when they moved out so it was all mine :)

meggymoo 11-12-2007 09:50 AM

Hi KT, :)

Out of curiousity, what age do you have to be to get a permit in USA? They're increasing the age to 18 here in the UK.

Sorry to go off topic. :oops:

Vidaloco 11-12-2007 11:47 AM

Hey Meggymoo, in Kansas they used to give farm kids permits at 14 I think, but it was only to drive farm vehicles and farm related work. There is talk of raising it here too. Right now its a state by state thing. I don't have any teenagers (thank goodness) so Kstwister should know more.

KANSAS_TWISTER 11-12-2007 12:57 PM

it's 14 if you live on a farm, she's a straight A student and she'll be going to a school about 15 miles from our farm, i chose not to send her to the school in our town (94 students in the entire school k through sr) plus her new school has a rodeo team, so my next hunt will be a 2 horse trailer for her truck.......lol but for some reason she wants my silverado insteed :? .

meggymoo 11-12-2007 01:12 PM

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think from the age of 16 over here you can drive tractors etc on farms/your own land. Not sure if it involves roads though. :?
I had to wait till I was 17 to get behind a wheel. :D

KANSAS_TWISTER 11-12-2007 01:38 PM

the permit is only for them to use to go and come from school and farm related chorse