The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   showmanship!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/showmanship-42896/)

luvmyqh 12-16-2009 07:14 PM

showmanship!!!

1 Attachment(s)
ok i'm moveing my horse to where i have an indoor!!! yaaaa im sooooo happy!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
and i'v started a little showmanship. but i need to know the best way to start the pivot?? and for some reason he wont cross over it's always under and im getting frustrated!!! he'll trot w/me and stop but takes me for ever to get him set up!! can some one help!!!

as you see from the pic hes going to be a good halter horse and i realy need to get him ready. that pic was in oct at are 1st show and got 2nds in english type and western type but not so good in the showmanship!!

mom2pride 12-16-2009 10:14 PM

The only way I can think to really get him to pivot on his hinder is to workin in small steps.

You can also teach him to yield his front end away from you, in which you don't release your cue (I use a carrot stick to tap the shoulder or neck), until he crosses over; ie yielding the front end to you. Only ask for a step or two away from you at first (in the correct manner), and build from there.

Once he knows how to do this, it should be easier to teach him to pivot, as he will likely start yielding his front end every time you ask him to move away from you. If he doesn't, go back to the 'basic' yielding. He's probably just never been taught to yield his front end, so it's something you'll have to teach him :D

As far as setting him up, as long as he has a good back up in hand, this will be easily remedied. Rather than coming to a stop, and struggling to get him to set up immediately, back him several steps, and ask for a halt; chances are he may stop relatively square. Then just back him, or bump his halter foward (to get him to step foward) gently, in order to get him to square up the rest of the way; be careful to not 'over cue' him; apply very gentle cues, so that he understands to simply pick up his feet and move them slightly. Release the pressure as soon as he picks up his feet. Just keep your sessions short and sweet, and he will catch on. I would do it prior to a ride, and maybe when you're cooling him out, or after he's cooled out. Probably no more than 5-10 minutes per session; for most horses, showmanship\halter, is going to be the most boring thing on the face of the planet so don't over do it whatever you do!!!

Some people will simply get their horses set up most of the way, and then use their foot to cue a front foot to move, or go to the rear, and pick up a foot and move it; I'm not a fan of this personally, but in 'fun' shows, it's probably not too big of a deal. I'd rather see a horse set up nicely with cueing from his handler without touching.

luvmyqh 12-16-2009 10:18 PM

thanks..^^^^^ i will try that!!

GottaRide 12-17-2009 09:52 AM

This link might be helpful for training showmanship.

5cuetrain 12-17-2009 11:15 AM

If he's crssing under get him thinkin forward instead of backward and he should cross over.

Use his head--and the weight of it--to cue each foot: up and to the right means move the left front--pressure on the pole means forward pressure on the bridge of the nose means back. moving his head to the right loads his right front and makes his left front lighter--and easier to move.

Head down loads both front feet making his hinds lighter--same process for left or right front or back.

Teach him these cues and you can move each of his feet front or back.

After that lots of stops--correcting the stance--and pretty soon it will be automatic-- until you are in the show ring!! Then its nice to have the cues down so you can adjust as for sure you will need to.

HalterHorsePaints 12-21-2009 10:08 PM

mom2pride has the right idea thats how i got mine to move

luvmyqh 12-22-2009 02:58 PM

thanks guys i worked with him yesterday and i got the quater pivot down and he was crossing over i just needed to slow down and he kept the left hind leg still i was great!!

luvmyqh 12-22-2009 02:59 PM

oh and now that i have an indoor to work in things are going alot better!!:)