The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Best age to neuter a dog? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/best-age-neuter-dog-429034/)

myhorseisthebest 06-12-2014 02:48 PM

Best age to neuter a dog?

I have a border collie lad mix puppy and I was wonder at what age should I get him neutered? I was thinking 5 or 6 months, but I am not an expert at this dog stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

ZombieHorseChick 06-12-2014 02:55 PM

For me, I get it done around 5-6 months, but it depends on the person and their preference, some think it's to young, others say it's good, and some are worried about a cancer risk in Larger dog breeds( that hasn't actually been proven)
My family has always had a furry friend or two on the property. I even got deep into dog training when I got a puppy 4 years ago ^_^

"In my experience, dogs neutered under 6 months develop less obesity and don’t establish some of the “male” behaviors that neutering is meant to treat. They are also less likely to jump a fence, fight, or get hit by a car."-Cesar Millan- pro dog trainer.

Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/askthevet/b...#ixzz34S78ieqg
Posted via Mobile Device

myhorseisthebest 06-12-2014 03:13 PM

Thanks! Here another thing, his balls haven't really dropped down yet, does that matter?
Posted via Mobile Device

TessaMay 06-12-2014 03:19 PM

I, too, like to do it between 5-6 months. The pup I have now was done at 2 months by the shelter, because they didn't want him to go to a home with the possibility of not being neutered. I personally think that's a bit young, but there are no proven side effects of doing it young.

My parents like to wait for males until they are 2 if they can because they think the dog matures physically better that way. The last dog they tried that on was getting too aggressive, so he was snipped at 1 1/2 years or so. We'll see what they end up doing with the pup they have now. He's currently around 5 months and not yet neutered, but he has dropped.

Out of my 4 dogs, 2 were done very young and 2 were done when they were older (2 1/2 and around 3). I don't notice any strong differences besides what their personalities would give them naturally I think. The male who was done around 3 (guess on age because he was found as an unfixed stray) does hump when the other dogs won't pay attention to him and do what he wants, but I think he'd do that regardless. He doesn't take not being top dog very well.

ZombieHorseChick 06-12-2014 03:23 PM

Most puppies will be dropped by 2-6 weeks of age, in rare cases up to 7,how old is he exactly?
( or a estimate) because it does make a difference, it would be a longer recovery time because it would be more of a surgery.

More indepth: The Long Term Effects of Undescended Testicles in Dogs | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy
Posted via Mobile Device

myhorseisthebest 06-12-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieHorseChick (Post 5579378)
Most puppies will be dropped by 2-6 weeks of age, in rare cases up to 7,how old is he exactly?
( or a estimate) because it does make a difference, it would be a longer recovery time because it would be more of a surgery.

More indepth: The Long Term Effects of Undescended Testicles in Dogs | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy
Posted via Mobile Device

He is 17 weeks like he has testicles, but not really big.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 06-12-2014 08:47 PM

My Aussie/St Bernard mix was neutered at about 10 months. Not my preference. That's the age he was when I got him from the pound.

He is very dog reactive, but that's a behavioral thing, not because he was neutered "late." He does mark outside, but stops if I tell him to.

My preference is to neuter from 4-6 months.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wild Heart 06-12-2014 09:34 PM

My Great Pyrenees/Boxer mix was neutered at 8 months old. While my Doxie-Poo was neutered at about 6 months.

While a puppy can be neutered as soon as 8 weeks, I wouldn't recommend it. Wait till the dog turns 5 months old.

doubleopi 06-13-2014 12:15 AM

I, personally, spay and neuter as soon as the doc will do it, usually 4-6 months...but here's another point of view...

Sharpie 06-13-2014 12:27 AM

When working in shelter medicine, I am happy to spay and neuter as soon as the critters are big and old enough to hold up under anesthesia because the sooner they can be fixed, the sooner they can be adopted and go home. That is a special case. The longer they stay in a shelter, the more likely they are to get sick or develop behavioral issues, both of which are just about certain death sentences.

For animals in normal pet homes, I recommend they have their pet fixed after all their puppy (or kitten) vaccines are done, so typically 4-6 months. Surgery is a stress factor that can suppress the immune system a bit, so IMO, it's best to make sure they're protected from parvo, distemper, rabies and bordetella before doing it.

My only real exception to that general recommendation is in homes who do heavy physical activity or competition with their animals (Flyball, Agility, Herding, Dock Dogs, etc). There is some evidence that in some male dogs, early castration slightly increases the risk for orthopedic injury, so I recommend they wait until the dogs is fully mature, typically around 2 years old or so. Now, all that said, that's if you choose to alter your pet. Most of my clients with competition animals keep them intact because they may become valuable for breeding if they succeed. These folks are also typically exercising, managing, and training their animals enough that they're not running off and breeding willy-nilly.