The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Thank Heavens for Calm Drafts (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/thank-heavens-calm-drafts-42914/)

barefoothooves 12-16-2009 10:59 PM

Thank Heavens for Calm Drafts

Today I was working with Forest, our Belgian mix. We've been ground driving for a few months, but only hooked up to poles a few times. Today I decided to re-visit this.

Everything was going really well, so I decided to trot a bit. Our training poles were made by dear Hubby, and he used PVC for shafts, with a wood cross bar with eye bolts to attatch the traces too.( Makes a good drag, similar feel for the shafts of a cart, and makes some noise, while saving a cart from damage, and no wheels means not worrying about brakes, for those who don't drive horses.).

We were trotted maybe 2 laps around the barn lot, and apparently the PVC couldnt' take it any more, and with a very loud crack, one shaft shattered, while the other was still in the tug, and the traces still being attatched, were causing it to twist and hit his fetlocks. He jumped, of course, because he's very green,and seriously, who wouldn't if something slapped you in the legs? In about 4 or 5 strides, he was stopped and looking back at me accusingly and asking just what the heck I had done.

He stood calmly while I unhitched everything, and I rigged up a couple of old boards, as I didnt' want the last thing he pulled to shout and slap him, and we pulled a few feet, and quit for the day. He was fine. Hooray for Forest's intellgence. Guess PVC can't take freezing temperatures and go bouncing along like that. Hmmm. Call us idiots, we didn't think of that before. It was just cheaper than wood, and lighter, so easier for me to handle.

So, I think we shall make a trip to the hardware store soon, and see if I've totally scarred him or not. Luckily, no horses were harmed in the making of this story. =)

Appyt 12-17-2009 12:06 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggg! !!!!!!!!!

Glad things didn't go totally bonkers.

barefoothooves 12-17-2009 12:22 AM

And I'm braggin' on him now, but he didn't kick, just jumped forward a couple of times, then trotted, and stopped.

Did I tell ya I've been riding him bareback? My saddle is too narrow, of course, so I just get on without, and he rides well. Can really feel those back muscles. No withers to speak of, but I don't feel like I'd fall off. He's already like sitting on a table. =)

Appyt 12-17-2009 01:12 AM

That is great and no I didn't know you were riding him bareback. He's a good boy but man does he have a huge head. LOL

smrobs 12-17-2009 03:37 AM

That's awesome. I love drafts and their temperments. I'm glad that he didn't freak out when that thing slapped him. :D

Hunter65 12-17-2009 09:49 PM

I miss Duke (a percheron I was leasing) he has the best temperment. Totally mellow, whatever kinda attitude. AWESOME Drafts are the best!

barefoothooves 12-17-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appyt (Post 492706)
That is great and no I didn't know you were riding him bareback. He's a good boy but man does he have a huge head. LOL

The better to hold in them smarts! LOL Takes a big noggin for a big brain. Yes, it is big, though. Already needs a bigger halter, and soon a new bridle.