The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I need some help with this question!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-need-some-help-question-42953/)

SeeinSpotz 12-17-2009 07:11 PM

I need some help with this question!!

I have this project due on monday the 21st.
so here is the question

Research the role of the horse in the Wild West. Explore breeds of the horses and list a dozen things one must do to keep his or her horse in tiptop shape? <- the bold is what i need help with!

Thanks!!

upnover 12-17-2009 07:23 PM

tip top shape for what? you mean just healthy or say, top shape for a competition?

-Make sure your giving him the proper feed/forage/nutrients needed.

-Make sure his feet are healthy and trimmed properly

-Keep your horse wormed

-Keep your horse immunized

-Groom him regularly

-Exercise him properly

SeeinSpotz 12-17-2009 07:27 PM

it just says tiptop shape!! and this is in the 1800's!!

Honeysuga 12-17-2009 07:37 PM

Keep up with shoeing/trimming schedule.
Allow recovery time after strenuous riding so horse does not get "run into the ground".

Wow, it's hard to think like it is the 1800's...

Vidaloco 12-17-2009 07:43 PM

In the 1800's there wasn't as much done to keep horses healthy. They were a common piece of livestock.
The basics were followed, keep their feet in good shape, make sure they get adequate feed and water and shelter. Keeping them safe would have been a big one. Horse thieves and wild critters were probably more of a problem than it is now. Also keeping the tack in good working order was pretty important.
I doubt many folks made regular vet visits back then.

Vidaloco 12-17-2009 08:00 PM

Good fences
Adequate shelter
Good feed
Good water
Tack in shape
Feet maintained
Geesh thats only 6 :-(
Proper grooming...thats 7
Identification/branding so they stay yours I guess that could be one

AlmostThere 12-19-2009 06:43 PM

^^yeah, asking for a dozen things does seem excessive.

Maybe change out mounts if doing lots of work or riding (pony express comes to mind). Proper recovery time before more strenuous work.

Regular inspections of legs, feet - keep an eye out for developing problems.

Making sure the saddle fits the horse well, and paying attention to weight changes that could affect this.

Proper training - hobbling, ground tying - a cowboy doesn't want his mount wandering off :wink:.

Making sure the task suits the horse - making a horse a plow horse versus a riding horse.

Good luck.

DisneyCowgirl1901 12-20-2009 02:07 AM

hobbles, brandings, hoof care, grooming, feed, water, protection (from predators, thieves, and rogue horses), Cool down after a hard ride, training, tack.... wow I think everyone already got all those, and I can't think of anything else!