The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What Color is she? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-color-she-42958/)

horseluver50 12-17-2009 07:46 PM

What Color is she?

The horse I am getting, she is a registered qh mare.. red dun.. but she has whitish strands in her mane, sort of like flaxen.
What color would you call her? golden red dun?

luvmyqh 12-17-2009 07:49 PM

hard to tell w/out a pic?? post one then i can tell??

horseluver50 12-17-2009 07:59 PM

I dont have any pictures yet, but will have some when she comes home :)

Her body is red dun.. but the mane is sort of like this (with a bit more red):
http://www.icelandichorse.is/MaistjarnaSKr.jpg

horseluver50 12-18-2009 03:42 AM

anyone have any idea what a red dun horse with white in its mane and tail is called?
hehe :)

Sixxofdiamonds 12-18-2009 06:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by horseluver50 (Post 493677)
anyone have any idea what a red dun horse with white in its mane and tail is called?
hehe :)

Just a red dun. ;)

Java is a dun and he has white in his mane and tail like a Fjord. Some people call it a "buttermilk dun", but registered with IBHA and AQHA he's just a dun.

It's really just a certain part of dun factor. Some duns have shoulder striping, forehead webbing, leg barring or leg webbing. While if they have heavy coloring like that it's called a sooty dun, they're still just a dun.

Does that make sense? She's a red dun with certain dun factor, such as the frosted mane and tail.

Attached are two photos of Java's mane. People actually ask us if we dye it. O.0 Haha!

Sixxofdiamonds 12-18-2009 06:51 AM

Also - is she registered IBHA or ABHA? Because she may be a linebacked sorrel with a flaxen mane and tail.

Many people call a horse red dun but get denied IBHA registration because there isn't enough dun factor.

From IBHA's website: Red Dun The Red Dun will vary in shades of red, in the range of peach to copper to rich red. In all shades, the accompanying points will be darker red or chestnut and be in contrast to a lighter body color. Red Dun must have a definite dorsal stripe to be eligible. The dorsal stripe will usually be dark red and predominant. Leg barring and shoulder stripes are common. Horses with faint dorsal stripes that do not appear on photos may be denied registration.

Sixxofdiamonds 12-18-2009 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If this is her, she's just a red dun. The lighter mane and tail color is normal.

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like she might have some leg barring/webbing, too!

FGRanch 12-18-2009 12:17 PM

If it's the last picture that Sixx posted, it's just a red dun.

You know I'm not outright accusing you but it seems pretty odd that everyone just wants their horses to be something speical. Lets just love them no matter what, who cares about color?

horseluver50 12-18-2009 01:04 PM

Sixxofdiamonds -- okay thank you :) Yes, that is her in the picture, but you cant see the white.. its mainly in her main. The owners called her a golden red dun, because of the gold in her main, and I didnt know there was such thing?
I guess not haha. Thanks! And, she is registered, what is IBHA? She is registerd in AQHA as a red dun :)

Quote:

If it's the last picture that Sixx posted, it's just a red dun.

You know I'm not outright accusing you but it seems pretty odd that everyone just wants their horses to be something speical. Lets just love them no matter what, who cares about color?
I dont care about color, I was just wondering if it was called something different, b/c the owners said that she was golden red dun.. i searched that and nothing came up :P
But I just wanted to know if there were diff types of red dun or something :)
I dont mind if my horse was black, brown, bay, chestnut etc. She is special no matter what, I <3 her :)

Sixxofdiamonds 12-18-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseluver50 (Post 493884)
And, she is registered, what is IBHA? She is registerd in AQHA as a red dun :)

IBHA is International Buckskin Horse Association. She can be dual registered AQHA and IBHA if you take photos of all of her dun factoring and send them to IBHA. She'll then be able to show IBHA circuit as well.

Java is registered ABRA (American Buckskin Registry Association), IBHA (International Buckskin Horse Association), AQHA (American Quarter Horse Association) and I'm hoping to get him in the Good as Gold program with PHBA (Palomino Horse Breeders of America).

IBHA and ABRA are a bit pickier about dun coloration than AQHA is. That's why you need to send documentation and photos of all of her dun factoring as well as regular conformation shots. They look at each application coming through and assess whether the horse is considered a dun or not.