The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Stories and Poems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-stories-poems/)
-   -   Chad- a true story (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-stories-poems/chad-true-story-43003/)

ilovesonya 12-18-2009 02:53 PM

Chad- a true story

Valentia Equestrian Centre is a lesson stable as well as a Thoroughbred rescue center. This summer they rescued almost 10 of them. Including Chad.
Chad is a chestnut yearling TB. He was rescued by Valentia Equestrian in the beginning of July. His old owners said that he had sprained his ankle in the pasture running around and they didn't want to wait for that to heal.
So he was brought to the farm. When he got there he was checked out by the owner and he found a hole in one of his back legs, as round as a sausage. He was kept in a stall for his first night and the next morning his legs were swelled triple of there normal size.
He couldn't walk very much, so he was left to roam the property to try and get the swelling down, and was watched by staff.
A week and a bit later, I came back from my trip to Nova Scotia and went straight to work the next day. Thats when I saw Chad for the first time. He literally would only be able to walk a few feet in an hour.
The vet came out and lanced his back leg, and buckets of puss and rotting flesh came pouring out. In total Chad had to be lanced in his back legs 4-6 times altogether.
Then there were the times when Chad would fall. He didn't have the strength to get up so he had to be lifted up with the tractor. Alot. Almost daily.
In mid-August, Chad was super close to dieing. Like, 5 seconds away. He always had a temperature, but this one was bad. At the last second, the owner gave Chad a shot of something like adrenaline, and he was back!

Now Chad is all healed up, and has 3 pasture buddies. Now Chad can get up by himself, and not only walk, but trot, canter, and buck!

I'll try to get some pictures of Chad up soon!

JavaLover 12-18-2009 02:59 PM

Oh wow! That's amazing. Poor horse :-( Hehe I'm glad he's better though. I live in Nova Scotia :)

HollyLolly 01-05-2010 08:43 PM

Aww, poor chad! Did you find out what made that round hole (that doesn't sound like a sprain a horse would get whilst in play to me!) do you think the owners did it to him? I'm so glad he's recovered now anyway :)