The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Foreign body in eye (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/foreign-body-eye-430194/)

DraftyAiresMum 06-14-2014 10:30 PM

Foreign body in eye
 
Abby was digging at her right eye last night and I noticed that it was a bit weepy. When I looked closer, I noticed that she had it squinted closed (a lot like a person does when they have something in their eye). So, I had my boyfriend hold her head and hold open her eyelids for me so I could see if there was anything irritating her eye. Her eyelids were all inflamed and as she rolled her eye, I caught a glimpse of something. I managed to grab it with my fingernails and imagine my surprise when out came a 1" long foxtail! :shock: Poor baby girl! That had to have hurt!

So, after we made sure there wasn't anything else in there, I washed her eye with warm water and a soft cloth. As you can imagine, her eye is still a little inflamed and weepy, but not nearly as bad today.

Is there anything else I can/should do to help her eye out? She can see just fine, it's just weepy (as I would expect with such a large foreign body in the eye). I washed it again this morning and plan on washing it when I get home from work tonight.

Laineylou 06-15-2014 12:02 AM

Awww, poor pup! My dog had a similar incident last year. He impaled his eye and had plant matter embedded in the cornea so had to have it surgically removed. We were just told to keep the eye washed and clean and he had to wear the cone of shame so he wouldn't dig at the eye and irritate it further.

beau159 06-15-2014 12:17 AM

Call the vet. NOW.

Your horse could very well have scratched her cornea and NEEDS an antibiotic. Eye injuries are very serious. If you don't treat it with the correct medication, your horse could lose its eye.

This is serious. Don't just "wait and see". Call the vet now.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 06-15-2014 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 5594378)
Call the vet. NOW.

Your horse could very well have scratched her cornea and NEEDS an antibiotic. Eye injuries are very serious. If you don't treat it with the correct medication, your horse could lose its eye.

This is serious. Don't just "wait and see". Call the vet now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wasn't my horse. It was one of my dogs. It wasn't imbedded, it was on the surface of what looked like the third eyelid (can't remember if dogs have a third eyelid or if that's just cats). Her eye is fine, no pain and no blood, and she can see just fine, it's just weepy.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 06-15-2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laineylou (Post 5594322)
Awww, poor pup! My dog had a similar incident last year. He impaled his eye and had plant matter embedded in the cornea so had to have it surgically removed. We were just told to keep the eye washed and clean and he had to wear the cone of shame so he wouldn't dig at the eye and irritate it further.

Thankfully, once we got it out, she didn't dig at it anymore. She's a difficult one when it comes to the cone because she just doesn't care. She had to wear one for six weeks last year when she had an abcess in her neck from playing with the cat and she ran all over like a hooligan the entire time, bombing through trees and taking out everyone's legs. She figured out that if she ran into you with the cone, you'd move, so we were constantly getting whacked in the back of the knees. Then, when she got spayed a few months ago, she actually caught and killed a rabbit with the cone on five days after surgery. Psycho puppy!!
Posted via Mobile Device

KsKatt 06-16-2014 12:22 PM

Good thing you caught it and removed the foxtail!
It's too easy to scratch the cornea! Keep a close eye on it to catch if it should become infected. That would require an antibiotic. Otherwise, a scratched cornea hurts a lot and takes awhile to heal.

DraftyAiresMum 06-16-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KsKatt (Post 5602842)
Good thing you caught it and removed the foxtail!
It's too easy to scratch the cornea! Keep a close eye on it to catch if it should become infected. That would require an antibiotic. Otherwise, a scratched cornea hurts a lot and takes awhile to heal.

We have been keeping an eye on it. She's doing well and the eye stopped weeping. She's our happy puppy again.

My boyfriend and I joke that she's our $1000 mutt, literally. We only paid $65 for her, but then last year she ended up with a major abscess on her neck that was $850 to take care of. Then earlier this year she got out of the yard and picked up by the pound, which was another $150 because she wasn't spayed yet. Ugh. Good thing we love her to bits!
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0