The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   !!!!VIDEOS!!!Which horse has the better movement? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/videos-horse-has-better-movement-43030/)

HorseGurl27 12-18-2009 08:43 PM

!!!!VIDEOS!!!Which horse has the better movement?

Which horse do you think is the better mover for western pleasure.
Which one do you think has more show potential?

Both are 5 years old.

Horse #1 has about 5 months of professional training
Horse #2 has about 7 months. Horse one is $3500 and horse two is $5500.

Tell me what you think one of these could be a potential purchase in the future!

luvmyqh 12-18-2009 09:02 PM

#1 but the head is to low!!

SpiritJordanRivers 12-18-2009 09:08 PM

Ok, quick question. Is the second horse doing a four-beat lope in the beginning, or am I completely wrong (probably)? Wow, I've never ridden a lope that nice, slow, and collected . . . wonder what it feels like :)

ShutUpJoe 12-18-2009 11:30 PM

It feels like cutting butter : ). I call it the country crawl. I like #2.

kevinshorses 12-18-2009 11:59 PM

I don't like either one that well. They are doing the typical western pleasure invented gates. I won't belabor my distaste for WP as a disipline but I wasn't impressed with either one.

BuckOff41570 12-19-2009 06:11 AM

I prefer the second. The great thing about these horses is that, while they are going WAY too slow, they are at a very early stage in their training. When the girl was loping the second horse in the beginning, it would be nothing to just ride him up into the bridle a little more. The horse is capable. Same with the first, just bump the horses head up. He's too heavy for my taste, but the price, IMO, reflects a horse that needs tuning.

Change the rider, change the horse.

smrobs 12-19-2009 07:52 AM

#2 doesn't look like he was built for WP. He has a hard time keeping his head that low and loping with so little impulsion and that makes his lope just hideous. His lope is choppy and he is using his head to pick himself up. He jerks it up with his front and and really drops it down with his back end. I really like his other gaits though.

#1 has a better overall movement though he does need some serious work. His lope has no impulsion and dare I say it..... looks like more of a trope to me. However, it looks easier for him to maintain that frame and speed. Where it looks like #2 is really having to work for it, it looks easy for #1.

maura 12-19-2009 08:41 AM

#1 doesn't look sound to me. Moves shorter in the right hind than than left. That might be because of the "trainer's gait" jog, but of the two, I prefer #2.

In general, though, I agree with kevinshorses. I prefer horses to move under saddle a little closer to their natural gait.

Disclaimer: I am not a western horseperson, and am not all that familiar with what's desirable in WP.

QHDragon 12-20-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritJordanRivers (Post 494304)
Ok, quick question. Is the second horse doing a four-beat lope in the beginning, or am I completely wrong (probably)? Wow, I've never ridden a lope that nice, slow, and collected . . . wonder
what it feels like :)

Um I thought the same thing. It looked to me almost like the horse was cantering in the front and trotting in the back...

GottaRide 12-21-2009 11:47 AM

If I were picking between these two horses, I would definately go with #1.

I love a good western pleasure horse, and the first horse has the ability to be one. There are some issues with the way the horse goes around in this video that should be easy to address. He falls on his forehand occasionally throughout the video, plus he's behind the vertical through most of the video. I like where his head is at. I like how his legs move. I like how he goes along on a nice drape rein. He'd be a nice one to work with.

The second horse seems like he'd have an easier time as a huntseat horse. He's bigger and longer so it is harder for him to get under himself while he's trying to go slow at the same time. He should be able to do WP, but he's a bigger challenge right now.