The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Best insulated winter boots and gloves? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-insulated-winter-boots-gloves-43072/)

JackandGina 12-19-2009 06:13 PM

Best insulated winter boots and gloves?

Winter has finally hit MD full force today (25 inches of snow...unheard of in these parts)! For those of you who encounter snow and harsh conditions regularly what are some of the best boots and gloves to ride in? Any websites that I could order them from?

-Thanks!!

eventerdrew 12-19-2009 06:55 PM

I recently ordered the SSG Insulated gloves and have been riding in them for about two weeks. They are awesome! You can leave them in the cold trailer or tack room and they will still keep you warm when you ride. They are also thinner so you don't have to worry about gripping the reins. They are also only $6

I love all types of Ariat Insulated boots. They have all worked great for me. The longevity of the Frostbiters was great. But they don't make them anymore. I am wearing the Icebergs now and they seem great too. STAY AWAY from Mountain Horse boots. The whole sole came off of mine! I only wore them for one winter.

you can get both through Dover. www.doversaddlery.com

MuleWrangler 12-19-2009 08:16 PM

Not for riding, but just FYI--Bogs insulated rubber boots are the BEST for barn work and being outdoors in mucky, cold weather. We moved from the south to Kentucky last year, and they have been a life saver! I could still feel my toes after a round of stall mucking in below-freezing weather!

Amba1027 12-19-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerdrew (Post 494919)
STAY AWAY from Mountain Horse boots. The whole sole came off of mine! I only wore them for one winter.

Really? I hope not all of them are like that. I asked for a pair of Maountain Horse boots for Christmas. Anybody know any good gloves for working in? I need something waterproof and warm but not so thick that it's hard to do things. All the gloves I have make it hard for me to work the clips on lead ropes and halters and things. Any suggestions?

cowgirl4jesus94 12-20-2009 11:52 AM

I have muck boots to work in and then I just put on a couple layers of wool socks in my ariat probaby's and i dont have a problem with my feet getting cold.

Pinto Pony 12-20-2009 12:53 PM

I got some awesome "Heritage" brand deerskin wool lined gloves last year and they are toasty warm. They look bulky but I ride in them and work in them really well and my fingers are never cold :)

Tasia 12-20-2009 01:45 PM

get some of those heat packs and stuff em in to your gloves and boots... So warm

MIEventer 12-20-2009 02:03 PM

I LOVE MOUNTAIN HORSE BOOTS! They are not a scam in my opinion - sorry.

I have 2 pairs of RimFrost Mountain Horse Boots and I have had 1 pair for over 3 years and they are hearty, solid, and still look brand new.

I can't say anything bad about Mountain Horse Boots. I just think it is the boot you get - because I have had a pair of Ariat Winter Boots and they fell apart on me. The boot fell apat leaving holes, and the lining on the inside fell apart where I can't even get my foot in the boot without catching the tears in the lining and ripping it even more.

Those went into the trash. Didn't even have those for 1 year.

eventerdrew 12-20-2009 03:55 PM

MIEventer- that's funny. You and I have had exactly the opposite experiences. I absolutely love my Ariat boots ( I have had...4 pairs that include two pairs of insulated boots) and I had one pair of Mountain Horse boots that the ENTIRE sole fell off the bottom after 4 months. ugh. Then I called them and emailed them and they were very rude. Saying I must have done something to them to make them fall apart.

MIEventer 12-20-2009 03:59 PM

LOL -when my Ariats broke, I contacted the company, and they said that I had to deal with the Retail Outlet I bought them from. So, I contacted that tack store and got no results at all.

I think it depends on the indavidual boot itself.

This is the model of Ariat I had:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...ForSale035.jpg

The boots that are in that picture I donated to a girl at the barn who didn't have a pair of boots for winter, so I gave her those one's. I'll have to ask her how they are holding up.