The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   =/ hard to teach... (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/%3D-hard-teach-43137/)

UnrealJumper 12-20-2009 05:24 PM

=/ hard to teach...

So I have a friend who has been learning how to do basic english riding and jumping from me. When we started out I could get her to do flat work and everything. Now when I ask her to do dressage instead of flat work she simply refuses and runs away. (litteraly runs away on the horse!!!) what should I do? I've explained that its basically the same thing and now I can't even get her to do flat work all she wants to do is jump. I have said that jumping is only dressage with jump in the way, and to jump a course you need to be able to do dressage. Does anyone have any teqniques? If so share? She could be a good rider if she tried. She will only pay attention to me when im asking her to jump and do courses.

ridergirl23 12-20-2009 05:31 PM

hmmm thats hard... maybe (when on foot) try to explain to her how important it is and that the jumping will get out of control and her or her horse could get seriously hurt (a little exagerated...but maybe thats what it takes to get her to listen)

UnrealJumper 12-20-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 495648)
hmmm thats hard... maybe (when on foot) try to explain to her how important it is and that the jumping will get out of control and her or her horse could get seriously hurt (a little exagerated...but maybe thats what it takes to get her to listen)

hmm well ill give that a try!

starlinestables 12-20-2009 07:34 PM

Is she riding your horse? Or is she riding someone elses? That would be simple. if she doesn't listen don't let her ride. If she's on her own her wait for her to fall on her face a time or two and then she should be ready to listen. :o)

Gidji 12-20-2009 07:36 PM

^^Agreed.
If you're giving her lessons, she should respect what you're teaching her.
If she doesn't want to do (or at least try) what you say, she should pack up and get lessons elsewhere.

ChingazMyBoy 12-20-2009 07:41 PM

I agree, its also very unsafe that she is running away on the horse! If shes only learning she could easily get hurt, before she starts riding explain to her. No Dressage. No Riding. Be stronge and don't give in.

UnrealJumper 12-21-2009 11:59 PM

Sometimes she's riding my horse other times she's riding her own. Most of the time she rides my horse. I have let her fall off before but she still wont listen.

~*~anebel~*~ 12-23-2009 08:19 PM

How old are you?
How old is she?
How many other students do you have?

To me it sounds like a lack of respect and that she needs to get a different coach! She either needs someone whom she respects or that will let her do whatever she wants and blow smoke.

Good luck!

UnrealJumper 12-24-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 498864)
How old are you?
How old is she?
How many other students do you have?

To me it sounds like a lack of respect and that she needs to get a different coach! She either needs someone whom she respects or that will let her do whatever she wants and blow smoke.

Good luck!

She used to respect me and now she doesn't

dressagexlee 12-24-2009 12:43 AM

This is the exact reason why I would never teach people in my family (such as a daughter, if I had one) or close friends. When you know somebody already, you already know the boundries you can cross with them. This usually doesn't happen with outside sources.

Take her out for lunch, or request a meeting. Lay out the facts, tell her how you feel about everything, and give her some options. Highlight the fact that she's being incredibly disrespectful to not only you, but also the horses she rides.
If she decides to continue her behaviour or walk away, well, she isn't worth keeping around, is she?

I've worked with my sister in a riding program, and we've had to do this. Most of the time, they'll understand. Again, if she doesn't listen, give her the boot.