The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How offten dose your horse get out in winter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-offten-dose-your-horse-get-43239/)

luvmyqh 12-21-2009 07:33 PM

How offten dose your horse get out in winter?

i just moved my horse and the guy said he lets them out for like 45 mins in small groups. but i droped my horse off yesterday morring and today went out there and i know he was not out!! so i let him out for a bit!!
HOW LONG CAN THEY GO WITH OUT GETTING STIFF???? Thank's:D

sillybunny11486 12-21-2009 07:36 PM

he WIll get stiff with 45 minutes of T/o a day, especially if you dont ride him regularly and prodcutively.

My horses are out 24/7 in all weather. I will never board, where a horse is kept in a stall for half the day again.

sixlets 12-21-2009 08:00 PM

My horse is outside all day. Wild horses lived in either dry deserts or freezing mountains, so you shouldn't worry too much. As long as they a herd to huddle with they're fine. If you want you can always put on a winter blanket to give them added warmth.

paintsrule 12-21-2009 08:02 PM

My horse is outside 24/7 :)

farmpony84 12-21-2009 08:03 PM

Mine are out from about 6am until about 8pm every day in the winter. In the summer they are out day and night w/ shelter. I think 45 minutes per day is not enough. A friend of mine turns hers out while she cleans stalls when the weather is bad and then brings them back in (her fields get to sloppy) and they get alot of injuries during bad weather. Good weather she has them out all day.

RiosDad 12-21-2009 09:11 PM

MY guys are out from dawn till dusk. From June until late September they are out 24/7 but they have good shelters, lots of trees and great pasture.
I want my guy in when it is dark and cold, in a warm dry stall, well groomed, feet picked clean and good hay, water and grain.

I will not board where a horse is out nights in the winter. While wild horse are out they know where the sheltered spots are. They don't stand out in the wind or rain like some force their horses to

1dog3cats17rodents 12-21-2009 09:14 PM

Mine is out from about 8-4. Horses WILL get stiff stuck in a stall all day. The more time out the better.

qtrhrsecrazy 12-21-2009 10:34 PM

Mine's out 24/7 with a good shelter to come and go as she pleases. It's just not healthy to keep them stalled constantly.

45 minutes a day is NOT enough time for turn out.. I'd be having a serious talk with that BO

gypsygirl 12-21-2009 10:37 PM

my horses go out from 5.30 or 6am- 3.30-5 pm

even if its really icy, just dont look !

riccil0ve 12-21-2009 10:44 PM

My horses are outside all day in the winter, usually 7ish to 7ish, then they spend the winter nights inside. In the summer, they are out 24 hours a day. I would never board in a place that required my horse be in for longer than that.

45 minutes a day really isn't enough time for a horse to be a horse, I'd try and get him as much time as possible.

Oh, and once my friend's horse is moved somewhere else and it's back to just my two, my 16 month old will stay outside with a run-in during the winter as well. She has the coat to handle it. My mare gets clipped, and it quite the princess, she would be miserable if I made her stay out in the icky winter weather. =]