The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Few questions about english riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/few-questions-about-english-riding-4324/)

Crazy4Horses 11-14-2007 06:05 AM

Few questions about english riding

Hi. I am going to be going to a new barn that gives lessons in jumping and I was wondering if there is anything I need to know? I will not be jumping until a couple of lessons but I will be riding in an english saddle any information on jumping is needed as well.. I am a little nervouse because at my first barn I was riding a gaited horse in a western saddle that I rode at a 4 beat running walk which was easy for me I could ride with no hands and my feet out of the stirups if I wanted to never did but I know for certain I could have. Now I will be riding a 2 beat horse in an english saddle which I have never ridden in so yeah I am little nervous. What is difference between a western and english saddle besides looks? I was also wondering how much different it is riding a 2 beat left hind, right fore, right hind, left fore and a 4 beat right hind, right fore, left hind, left fore? One more question do you flip the reins over like you do in gaited? I am considered intermedinant in gaited I can handle my current mount spooking, turning fast, jumping forward side ways ect, fighting with me because she does not want to go left, and I usally never get nervous. I am just really concerned about swichting to a english saddle a two beat trot :? .

Vidaloco 11-14-2007 07:16 AM

I don't ride english but you will have to post on a non-gaiter. Its much easier to do in an english saddle.

Stepher 11-14-2007 10:10 PM

There is a lot less leather on an English saddle; so you will probably feel like there is nothing between you and the horse. Im sensing that your instructor won't have you jumping until you are comfortable riding the trot and canter (you dont have to be perfect, just comfortable).

Crazy4Horses 11-15-2007 04:00 AM

Thanks for replying :) . I am happy to hear that English saddles are easier to post in I was little concerned about that. I believe you are right Stepher at least that is the impression that she left over the phone. I am just trying to know as much as possible before I go Friday because I never dreamed I would be riding English so I read more about western and now here I am scrambling for information on English riding I guess that's what I get for not reading equally on both disciplines :lol: . I would stay at my current barn but there are some rather big problems with the current instructor that are not really fixable so there is really not an option.

jazzyrider 11-16-2007 07:28 AM

hi there

you dont have to rise trot in an english saddle but it will take some time to get used to the different beat.

in an english saddle you are much more vulnerable as there is nothing holding you in the saddle. balance and a good seat are essential.

its hard to give you any tips on jumping without writing a huge essay but i will say what i can :) if you are only starting out, you should be jumping very small jumps which, in reality, are very easy. use the horses forward motion over the jump to bring you out of your seat. on the way back down, return to your seat. by the time you hit the ground, your bum should be back in the saddle. however, when doing small/starter jumps, this motion is much more subtle and in some cases depending in just how small the jump is, you dont really need much of your two point seat. your instructor should run through all this and more with you before you start jumping anyways

good luck and have fun :)

luvmystandardbred27 11-19-2007 05:41 PM

There is soooo much to learn to ride english! I really suggest not jumping until you are much more experienced in english riding first because when I first started to learn how to ride, I didn't go over my first jump until like 3 months after my first lesson and I took 3 lessons a week!

I would probably say that you would MAYBE try out some trotting poles on your 5th or 6th ride. It is really good to practice your jumping position when you are going over trotting poles because you can catch your balance much easier, unlike at a canter (or lope in your case lol). Good Luck!

Crazy4Horses 11-21-2007 02:28 AM

Thanks so much for the replies they have all be very helpful :) I took my first lesson Friday and I had a lot of fun! We worked on the posting trot mostly and she said we well work on the canter next lesson which is in a week. She is 10x better than my old instructor she has taught more in a day than what he taught me in 2 months. She is moving me on to new things quicker than I thought but she told me after the lesson that she feels I performed well enough at the walk, sitting trot, and posting trot that she is going to move me up to move me up to working on the posting trot and canter instead of the walk, sitting trot, and posting trot. I am so happy at this new place I am learning so much and having a lot fun while I am at it. The horses are even funner I ride a flea bitten grey horse that is probably about 16.1 hands named Tuffy and he is a very nice mount he can be a testy about grooming, mounting , and he pins his ears and put his up in the air a bit when asked to trot but that is what makes him fun he not to testy but is not lazy either.

luvmystandardbred27 11-21-2007 01:42 PM

No offense or anything, but I don't think there is such thing as a 15.6 to 15.8 hand horse... It goes 15.1, 15.2, 15.3, then 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, etc.

Crazy4Horses 11-22-2007 01:09 AM

No offense taken. My farrier had told me that my horse was 15.5 so I just assumed that's how it went. I should have considered my resource.