The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horses can hurt us but they can save us in this world (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horses-can-hurt-us-but-they-432714/)

moderncowgirl89 06-19-2014 01:39 AM

Horses can hurt us but they can save us in this world

First I would like to share my story. I see on here many stories of becoming injured and the frustration of horse ownership. I would like hear stories of the horses who came into our lives and some how down the road saved us.

My first horse was a grey arab mare my mother and step dad got me for christmas when I was 16. She was around 27 although we where told 16. Anyways childhood had its struggles and hurdles. Without too many details I left my dad's care at 15. He was an abuser but a good talker in the courts. I moved back to my moms. I would not say I was a bad teen but I did for a year straight drink for more than half the week. My mom did not know the full extent. She gave me my space the family doctor said do not try to push or pry. Everyone has different way of dealing it maybe wrong or it maybe right. I did stupid things I wont like. One of the major was the booze cruise weekends. I was never in trouble with the law. Well anyways Josie came into my life just when I needed it the most. I started to slow down with my late night ppartying. One friday night I was board. Debated on going to the usual meet up spot and see what the night brings. Well at 11 pm at 16 I decided spending time in barn groom Josie was a better option. I debated this for most of the evening. After grooming went to bed. I woke up next morning to calls the people I usually went with flipped the vechile 6 times. All 3 guys in intensive care the girl with them died ejected out of the moon roof. I strongly know the if Josie was not around in my life I would of been in that truck and not here today. Yes since than I no longer did that crap. Sad it took that for me to shake myself out of the road I was taking.

Second life turning horse came into my life at 20. I was in a 3 year relationship with a bullrider. He was a cheater a liar and pretty rough. I had to learn on my own. I was about to move to a different city 3 hours from home to be with him as he was apprenticing. I was gonna settle on an education I fully did not want. Vet tech. Well about a month before moving date I found yet another message from a girl and I lost it. I ended it. For few weeks we played the call and text ups and downs see if it can be fixed. I had no back bone. Than a herd of appys where being sold off. That day I had enough with his games. Took the rent money I saved and went and bought me an appy. There money spent can not move. I named my appy yearling rent money. I than focused all my spare time with rent money. I no longer had time to think about my broken heart as I was training rent money an untouched yearling. Some where during those few months I built myself back up working with this yearling. I had the courage to finally tell the ex to screw off when ever he try to talk to me. I found I would ignore his games and texts and calls. He would drive by send a text saying I saw you working a horse. I just didnt respond.

Rent Money gave me my indpendence back. He trained me to stand tall and gave me my self worth back. I honestly beleive that if rent money was not in my life I would probably still be a fool dealing with the ex and not with the amazing and loving man I found a year later and still with.

I am sure there will be many more life saving and changing horses that come my way.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 06-19-2014 01:45 AM

Thanks for posting this, nice to hear.

tinaev 06-19-2014 02:19 AM

Horses change everything, don't they?

While my story is not as dramatic (for lack of a better word) I do credit my horse with me making some long needed life changes.

I'm lazy. I sit. I watch tv. I read. I eat. I could quite easily watch 10 or 12 episodes of a tv show on a Saturday and never leave my couch and be extremely happy. That's not healthy and it's going to lead to an early grave with my family history of obesity, diabetes and heart disease. The problem is that I really didn't care. I was very happy on my couch.

When Rio came along he actually gave me a tangible reason to change my eating and fitness habits. Don't get me wrong, I'm still obese and still lazy and every day is a struggle to try to form better habits. But at least I now WANT those better habits. I want to be a decent rider and a good human for him. I want to be more financially secure so I can provide for him. I want to stay healthy enough that I don't lose my breath when walking out to his pasture. He has made all the difference in the world and if anything can whip me into shape, he can.

horseNpony 06-19-2014 08:10 AM

Horse are life saviours. It's amazing that, if you didn't go see a horse, you may have been killed. Just shows you how life so,regimes throws you a freebie.

Horses change a lot of people. Riding has kept me out of depression for months now. I had a short 3 month period without riding, during that time i dropped so low i thought about death often and kept wishing for a better life. No matter how bad my days been, going to riding is just amazing, even if my lesson goes horribly. I just feel like when im there, someone hits the reset button.

PaintedPonies92 06-19-2014 01:21 PM

When I was ten my parents got a divorce and it wasn't pretty. I became bitter and angry at everyone all the time and curled up in my shell. Then my mom got me into horseback riding and I started to take lessons. It was a slow process, but I slowly went from an angry child to a happy one. The horses took my mind off of my parents and everything going on at home. I didn't come out of my shell, though, until a year ago when I decided after two years of not having a horse of my own, and being able to afford a horse on my own, I decided to go looking for a horse. I found Apollo, and even though we were both practically green (I'd never worked with a green horse before, only ridden lessons horses) the barn owner said she'd help me work with him. Long story short, working with Apollo and working with the barn owner, being surrounded by the people at the barn and the horses, I found myself coming out of my shell. Now, more than a year later I'm more social than I'd ever been before.

So yes, I agree that horses help, ALOT :) and probably without horses I would still be this angry person who didn't want to talk or open up to anyone.

ecasey 06-19-2014 05:22 PM

@tinaev, you sound so much like me! My girl, Organdy, got me off my fat butt and outside, enjoying the beautiful weather and country I live in. She also gave me something/someone to focus on rather than work. I work at home, so it's easy for me to get swallowed up by it. Organdy gets me out of all that and occupies my mind and my heart so much, I don't have time for anything else. Just for those couple hours a day, several days a week, I get to just be me. She doesn't care what I wear, what my hair looks like, or if I remembered to put on deodorant. ha ha. She insists I act confident but fair. She makes me be my best self. Horses are amazing creatures. I'm privileged to have one in my life. Thanks for bringing this up in this thread, moderncowgirl89!!

boots 06-19-2014 06:47 PM

I don't know about save the world, but...

Horses have been good to me and for me. I was a bit of a street urchin. Not really my parents fault. I just liked to explore more than most. I never got into trouble, but I saw a lot of it. Saw some pretty terrible things.

It affected me. Somehow I ended up seeing a Licensed Clinical Social Worker named Charlotte Overstreet. I'm very grateful to her. She helped my parents see that my obsession with horses might not be a horrid thing and might be worth letting me try on a more full time basis. I was eventually going to get hurt running the streets. Or hurt someone else.

Horse activities were not really valued and were foreign to our environment.

They let me go off and finish high school on race tracks shortly before I turned 16. I did it correspondence since it was before the internet. I had to find proctors for every test. Some of them couldn't even read, but they took the responsibility very serious. They were there to verify that I didn't cheat. I remember looking at the ceiling once trying to think of an answer and the proctor, another groom, barking, "The answer ain't up there! Keep your eyes on your paper!" And every one of them that proctored a test for me became a nag about seeing that I studied and behaved. I think I had more than a hundred bossy aunts and uncles by the time I graduated.

I valued being with the horses, and learning, so much I didn't dare goof off.

In writing this I realize that although horses were the carrot getting me to a better place, but the horse people were at least as important in shaping me and probably keeping me safe.

Samson5261 06-19-2014 07:32 PM

Rowdy saved my life by bringing me out of the dark place I had fallen into. I grew up with an emotionally abusive and druggie father. He loved to tear you down and reduce you to tears he seemed to get pleasure from it. Because of this I had no confidence and no freinds I was the quite akward kid in school. I had loved horses forever and the only time I was really happy was when I was working with them at my grandparents. After I graduated high school I became even more withdrawn having almost no contact with anyone but my family. Sadly my grandparent no longer had horses so I no longer had that happy place. I became depressed and had some really dark thoughts about ending it all. Then I get a picture message with this skinny horse and my dad wanting me to come see him(he had gotton clean and was trying to make up for what he did). That picture is the only reason I went up there and that trip changed my life. Rowdy gave me a reason to get up and get out. It wasn't an instant fix. For the first several months I still struggled with not wanting to do anything to stay withdrawn but he pulled me out eventually. As had our ups and downs it wasnt perfect and i made mistakes but we worked through them. He also helped me forgive my father for what he did. We don't have the best relationship but we do talk now. I still have times where I try to slip back but I just go out and love on rowdy and cowboy and it helps. They have also helped me build my cofadence I now have sevral friends and a tiny social life lol. I'm still very akward with people and have trouble reading them(can read animals just fine though lol). Without rowdy there's a good chance I wouldn't be here today he change me for the better:D!
Posted via Mobile Device

HeroMyOttb 06-19-2014 08:05 PM

When my brother died my horse helped me through that time and a lot of other difficult times in my life.

Also help keep me active.

moderncowgirl89 06-20-2014 12:40 AM

Im glade everyone has a positive outcome from a bad/rough/horrible outcome. I am enjoying reading the stories and can relate. I honestly know with out my herd of 9 horses I would not be who I am today. They have changed me and taught me so much and by sounds of it you guys are in the same vote!:)
Posted via Mobile Device