The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   take that horse flu...i finally get my boy back :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/take-horse-flu-i-finally-get-4334/)

jazzyrider 11-15-2007 07:15 AM

take that horse flu...i finally get my boy back :)

well ive had plenty to say over my time here about my horses but ive spoken little about my standardbred as he has been seperated from me for a while due to this horse flu lockdown. i didnt talk about him much cause i missed him and i avoid talking about things that upset me if i can :) but good news came to my house the other day. we are eligible for a permit to move him and bring him back to us :) ive gone through the process i just have to wait to get the permit in the mail.

im soooo excited. i havent seen him for three months. the people who have been looking after him sent some pics the other day and while i am VERY upset about the condition he is in, im so happy to have him coming to us :)

ive attached a couple of pics. as i said he has lost a lot of condition and weight but it wont take me long to get him back in fine shape :)

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2112_nov_007_1.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2112_nov_006_1.jpg

he looks so long and lanky in that first pic lol dont know why that is. i guess he has lost a lot of weight as said but anyways, im happy :)

Vidaloco 11-15-2007 07:29 AM

Great to hear you are getting your fella home. I didn't know you had a locked down horse. He looks pretty good to me, a little thin. How long will it take to get him home and whats his name?

jazzyrider 11-15-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
Great to hear you are getting your fella home. I didn't know you had a locked down horse. He looks pretty good to me, a little thin. How long will it take to get him home and whats his name?

yeah as i said, i didnt talk about him much :( i think i mentioned him once or two when i first came to the forum but short of looking back through all my old posts, i couldnt tell you where :) it broke my heart cause i was even allowed to go visit him cause of my other horses and i guess it kinda felt like i didnt have him anymore in a way.

i should get the permit through in a couple of weeks. lots of people are applying for permits at the moment since they have opened up the criteria for getting permits so it will take a little while. im hoping to have him by christmas time. nice xmas present :)

his name is cougar :) hes a 16.3h standardbred. he is 20 but has the energy of a 2 year old lol hes been retrained for dressage and jumping and while he breaks into a pace every now and then when he gets excited, 99% of the time he trots and canters nicely.

crackrider 11-23-2007 02:23 AM

That's great!!
My mare has just got over a bout of EI. I was soooo worried about her!! and i couldn't see her the whole time!

The annoying thing is she got it a week before the vaccine became available to us!!!! NOOO! Of all the luck!

Anyway, it's great to hear he's coming back to you!

jazzyrider 11-23-2007 04:24 AM

crackrider - are you a brissie person as well?

good to hear your mare is ok :) fortunately we havent been effected by it at all yet. we are right in the middle of a lot of it but the closest IP is about 18kms away.

we are waiting on hearing from the DPI at the moment as to whether or not we have been accepted to get the free vaccines and microchipping. fingers crossed :)

crackrider 11-23-2007 04:50 AM

No, not a brissy person, jazzyrider. I'm near Toowoomba. :)

jazzyrider 11-23-2007 05:08 AM

ah, close enough ;)

jazzyrider 11-29-2007 05:43 PM

vida - i just noticed you asked how long it will take to get him home. its about a 45 minute drive :)

well i got my permit and we are off to get him on sunday :) yay

i gots a couple of questions though - i got some idea of how the people have been feeding him and i have an idea about the lack of condition. he has only been getting wheat bran and pellets mixed with so much water its like a soup. im not sure if its right or not but wouldnt that have less effect than feed mixed properly? im thinking soup is much easier to digest than a hard feed. will i have to wean him off of that or can i go back to normal mixing?

also, as he has been on a very simple diet, im guessing i will have to wean him onto the other things i add to hard feeds like rice bran, cracked lupins etc i usually give a measured jug of 1L (1/4 gallon) of each thing but im thinking of giving him a quarter of that amount for the first week and then go up by quarters over the next few weeks. do you think i need to do it so slowly or not?

im sure i will have a mountain of pics to post on sunday night :) im so excited i can barely take it lol

Vidaloco 11-29-2007 06:58 PM

Hoorah! That didn't take too long :D I figured if your gov. worked anything like ours it would be months and months before you got permission. I bet your bouncing up and down with anticipation :wink:
On the feeding note. I always work in a new feed over a weeks time so I think you are on the right track there.

jazzyrider 11-29-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
Hoorah! That didn't take too long :D I figured if your gov. worked anything like ours it would be months and months before you got permission. I bet your bouncing up and down with anticipation :wink:
On the feeding note. I always work in a new feed over a weeks time so I think you are on the right track there.

lol yeah well the first permit came through in 4 days but as it was so quick we werent ready and they only give you 5 days at a time or you have to apply for another permit so they can re-assess the situation. so i had to reapply and finally got the second one through yesterday. i think it helps when you ring every day saying 'is it coming yet, is it coming yet' lol the guy from the DPI was getting to know me quite well lol

im bouncing up and down you can bet your boots on that :) 2 sleeps to go :D

so i guess i dont need to take a month to add the new feeds then ;) a couple of weeks should be safe??