The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Hi, I'm new, and want to get back in the saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/hi-im-new-want-get-back-43394/)

GottaDance 12-23-2009 06:58 PM

Hi, I'm new, and want to get back in the saddle

Hi, my name is Amy. Gotta Dance is my horse's name, may he rest in peace. I haven't been on a horse since he died and I really want to. I just moved to a new town where there are a lot of horse farms. I rode equitation English and my new neighbor rides Dressage. She referred me to a local barn. I am nervous because I am overweight and would have to be on a bigger horse than Gotta Dance and I haven't been in the saddle for so long. I think I will wait until the spring to get started but I just wanted to post here with some other horse lovers and get some advice. Thanks!

Amy

TwisterRush 12-23-2009 10:35 PM

Hi GottaDance,
I am sorry about your previous horse, but i do hope you do get back into the saddle :) !
There is nothing wrong with being 'overweight', just for riding !
What were you planning on doing when you got back into the saddle?
I dont think you would have to nescessarily be on a bigger horse. It does depend on the height though and such..
Let us know if you do get back into the saddle ! :) It is a wonderful feeling.

smrobs 12-23-2009 11:28 PM

Hey, Amy. Welcome to the forum. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope that you are able to get back into the saddle. The good thing about the equestrian world is there is no such thing as "too heavy to ride". Regardless of what your body size is, there is a horse to match you :D. I have found that it isn't the height of the horse that matters so much as his heaviness. I have a horse that is rather short, only 14.2 hands but is very heavy and stout. He has carried my Dad easily several times (Dad is 6'3" and averages about 230, maybe more). When looking for a horse, keep a close eye out for horses with big bones, joints, and feet. They will be hardy and capable of carrying you and 3 of your closest friends. :D

southerncowgirl93 12-23-2009 11:38 PM

Hi Amy, I'm sorry for your loss, but getting back in the saddle is good. I'm a big girl(about 200lbs. I need to lose weight), but my 15hh mare does well carrying me, but look for big boned and sturdy horses. Horses can carry more than people think