The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Eligible Broodmare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/eligible-broodmare-43406/)

AnnaLover 12-23-2009 09:36 PM

Eligible Broodmare?

7 Attachment(s)
I am thinking of breeding my mare and was wondering about your opinions on her? Her back legs might look weird due to an old injury in possibly both of them :( She has had 3+ foals in the past and was a very good mama. Here are some pics.
BTW I am looking to breed a cowy, athletic foal.
Lil Miss Poco Doc Quarter Horse

ridergirl23 12-23-2009 09:39 PM

how did her babys turn out? are they doing well in their discipline?? shes really cute! lol but i dont know that much about breeding

AnnaLover 12-23-2009 09:42 PM

I'm not sure about her previous babies. They were from previous owners and her last foal was kind of "backyard bred", although he was at the site when we bought her and gorgeous! She is from Florida and was bred a few times there too, not sure about those foals either...

I would stud her to probably one of the studs at my trainers house who have won lots of money in ranch penning and sorting. They are all gorgeous studs that are incredible in with the cows and perfectly well behaved around the mares :)

AnnaLover 12-23-2009 09:43 PM

BTW she's 14 turning 15 in August. :)

ridergirl23 12-23-2009 09:44 PM

I think go for it :) as long as you are prepared to keep the foal, or find it a good loving home if it doesnt turn out the way you wanted.

AnnaLover 12-23-2009 09:45 PM

Oh definitely! :) Thanks. Any other opinions?

nrhareiner 12-23-2009 10:07 PM

First if you have not yet I would get her HERDA tested. If negative then I would think about it. Her shoulder is a bit straight and her loin looks a bit long and week but could be the pictures. With the right stallion perhaps.

NittanyEquestrian 12-23-2009 11:22 PM

She has decent conformation and I don't see anything wrong with her legs but they pictures don't really give you good conformation shots. I would say if you aren't planning on breeding the next Superhorse then go for it. A good stallion can give her a boost in areas she may be lacking and if you raise the foal right then you should have a decent little horse in the end.

AnnaLover 12-24-2009 12:20 AM

Thanks everyone! What exactly does HERDA mean? :P

CheyAut 12-24-2009 03:29 AM

Horse HERDA