The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Mounting Issues? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/mounting-issues-4341/)

luvmystandardbred27 11-15-2007 05:03 PM

Mounting Issues?

The horse I'm leasing is a perfect mount for all of the 6 & 7 year olds at our stable. He is about 14 hands (I am a small person) so he is the perfect fit for me. Whenever I try to mount him, he will walk away as I'm trying to get up! Once I get up, he's already made a few steps away! I have also tried mounting from the ground; just as bad. He isn't very good about standing still unless someone holds his head at the end of the reins near the bit. He will stand perfectly still for the little kids, but is it just me :?: ? Please help! :lol:

Sara 11-15-2007 05:20 PM

If he's a lesson horse, it wouldn't surprise me...I've known many that were quite smart at adjusting themselves to the students. They were quite different horses depending on the size/skill of the rider.

Other than that, make sure you are not inadvertently jabbing him with your toe on the swing up. Also, if the saddle is twisting as you go up, it might be uncomfortable to him (which is why I try to use a mounting block as much as possible anyway).

Honestly, I just learned to get up faster...trying to retrain horses that regularly have multiple riders is like bailing a leaky boat.

Stepher 11-15-2007 06:52 PM

Try and use a mounting block as much as you can; there will be less pulling on his spin
There are a few things you can do to help him stop; but unfortunetly because other people ride him, he may never stop.
When you lead him up to the mounting block, tell him to stand in a firm voice. As you get on the block, tell him to stand again, do it a few times so he knows he is supposed to be still while you are moutning. If he goes to walk off, jump off the block make him back up at least 10 steps. Then lead him back to the block calmly, and repeat. It might take a few times, but eventually he will understand that its easier to just stand still and let you mount.
Now if he walks off once you are in the saddle, make him halt and stand for 5 seconds (and I mean stand, no dancing). Then hop off, and take him back to the mounting block and get on again, making sure you tell him to stand.
When he does stand, you can tell him he's a good boy, so he knows that he is doing the right thing.
It might take a few times each ride, but eventually he will learn that he is expected to stand.

giget 11-15-2007 08:27 PM

i was taught if i had a horse that did this to pull ur inside rein tight so that if they are going to move they move around in a circle this makes it easier to mount then them walking off then once ur up just keep them moving in a tight circle till they stop most of the horses i worked with if u did this half a dozen times generally got the message.

Spirithorse 11-15-2007 11:25 PM

Here is an article that may help you :)

Won't Stand Still to Mount
When a horse won’t stand still to allow you to mount, beware. If you swing up anyway it’s a bit like running down the pier to jump onto a sinking ship! There are a couple reasons this horse may not want you on his back, either he’s nervous and afraid of being ridden, or he just plain does not like it. In order to determine how to solve the problem you have to take one of two approaches. Try to recognize if the horse is responding with a fear reaction or a negative opinion... one is right brain (instinctive, prey animal) the other is left brain (no fear involved).

A fearful horse needs to learn how to trust you, so your strategies have to be around giving him no reason to fear you. This can take some time so don’t be in a hurry to ride until your horse gives you the green light...wait until he stands still so you can get on.

When it comes to the horse who doesn’t like being ridden, this could be more about how you ride, so learning how to become more in tune with your horse will be a big solution. Sure, you could try to discipline your horse but things will not get better. He already doesn’t like being ridden so the last thing you want to do is have him dislike you!

The answers are naturally simple but you have to look at it from the horse’s point of view. When you know why your horse is having trouble, you can then solve the problem with the appropriate strategies. One technique does not work equally for all horses, you must look at their individual needs

Horseknogg 11-16-2007 01:01 AM

This may sound extreme but have you had the horses back checked? You might have enough wieght diference to the students to iritate a spine problem. With having diferent riders, diferent techniqes can put pressure on muscle groups along the spine. He might be willing to put up with a bit of discomfort for lighter riders but be balky about someone heavier. I`m 6`4" and 200lb so this is something I have found in the past.

kitten_Val 11-19-2007 06:51 AM

My horse does it too. What I do is put foot in stirrup, but don't jump on. If she moves forward I take the foot off right away and back her for 10 feet or so. Stop her and try again. She usually catch pretty quick that any movement while I'm going on will be panished by work.

TxHorseMom 11-19-2007 10:22 AM

Are the reins in your hand when you are mounting? I always keep my reins in my left hand and tell the horse to "stand". As I am mounting if the horse starts to move, I pull back on the reins and say, "whoa, stand." (pull back the same as if you are riding the horse and want a whoa) I then start to mount again. I continue to do this until horse is quiet and I am mounted. Sometimes I have to get off the mounting block and circle horse around it to get it back in the correct place/position. Most of my horses, it takes only a time or two until they stand quietly, depending on how long it has been since horse has been ridden. (the longer it has been since ridden, the more "refreshing" it may take.) This may be a little more difficult to teach this horse since it is not yours and it has so many riders. If it is allowed to get away with this with other riders, then it will have a tendency to continue to try to do it with you. Good Luck