The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   English Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/english-pleasure-43417/)

TwisterRush 12-23-2009 11:07 PM

English Pleasure

- I also posted this in English riding, no replies, so i am reposting here also-

hi everyone.

I am abit curious about English Pleasure, and have thought more than once of maybe taking part in it with indigo.

Anyway's i have a few questions.

What do the judge's look for?
What are you judged on?
What should your horse particularly look like, such as braiding, etc?
What should you wear?
What exactly should the horse know how to do?

Anyother additional information would be great !

southerncowgirl93 12-23-2009 11:16 PM

I wanna check before I blurt out my answer. What kind of horse are you showing? Also, this is random, whats the Etiquette Pledger. I've been wondering.

TwisterRush 12-23-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southerncowgirl93 (Post 499064)
I wanna check before I blurt out my answer. What kind of horse are you showing? Also, this is random, whats the Etiquette Pledger. I've been wondering.

i will be showing my 16.2 HH Thoroughbred :)

The Etiquette pledger, is just someone who is more nicer in their posts, watching what they say... in rough etiquette. LOL.
There is a post about it, which explains it better!

southerncowgirl93 12-23-2009 11:28 PM

Ok. That makes sense. Now back to the question! I show gaited so that was the first that popped into my head. But for you its basically hunter under saddle. Or so I've been told. You walk, trot, and canter (unless its just walk/trot). You could be asked to extend the trot(even in walk/trot) or do a hand gallop. They wouldn't ask for a hand gallop in walk/trot though. lol. They are judged on performance, manners, way of going, etc. You want them to look easy to ride.

TwisterRush 12-23-2009 11:33 PM

Thank you for that info so far :)
Cant wait for the other responses :)

Tasia 12-24-2009 12:53 AM

I am also watching this thread...

Void 12-24-2009 12:28 PM

This depends largely on what kind of showing you are doing.

Rated

What do the judge's look for? Judges are looking for a pleasant picture, a well behaved horse that is easily controlled on a loose rein (loose but you still have contact with your mouth). You need to make the horse look easy and wonderful to ride.

What are you judged on?
Your ability to do up-down/down-up transitions smoothly, Walk to Canter, Canter to Walk, Walk to Trot, Trot to Canter, Canter to Trot. You should know your leads and diagonals. Like I said, loose rein is good but you still need contact with your horses mouth.

What should your horse particularly look like, such as braiding, etc? At a rated show Braiding the mane is a must, tail is only necessary if you are doing A or above. Your horse should be well groomed, polished hoofs, shining coat, the picture of health. Your tack should be spotless and so should you.

What should you wear? A Hunt Coat, any color should do, a matching shirt, breeches in Tan or Khaki, tall field boots, black gloves, an ASTM Helmet, hairnet.

What exactly should the horse know how to do? Walk, Trot, Canter, smooth transitions between all of those. Your horse should go relaxed on a loose rein. Being able to stop square is also desirable.

Schooling/Non-Rated
What do the judge's look for? Same as Rated

What are you judged on? Same as Rated

What should your horse particularly look like, such as braiding, etc? No need to braid for a Non-Rated/Schooling show but your horse should still look amazing. I feel its rude to show in front of a judge and look like you just rolled out of the barn on your trail riding day.

What should you wear? Personally I wear exactly what I would wear to an un-rated show, sometimes minus the Hunt Coat if it is a particularly hot day. A clean pair of breeches and a nice clean polo, clean jod boots and clean half chaps are also exceptable. I have seen people show in just tank tops of jeans before but I was offended that they wouldn't try and look their best.

What exactly should the horse know how to do? Exactly the same as a rated show but you don't necessarily need to be as polished on your transitions.

TwisterRush 12-24-2009 01:31 PM

Thank you Void.
Any More Information is welcome !

TwisterRush 12-26-2009 03:32 PM

~bump~