The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Roaching manes. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/roaching-manes-43448/)

Icrazyaboutu 12-24-2009 12:11 PM

Roaching manes.

I have always known that when you roach a mane you don't cut off the forelock. Is that wrong or right? Thank you!

smrobs 12-24-2009 12:30 PM

I think a part of it depends on what breed or discipline you are involved in. Most of the horses that I see on here are left with the forelock, though I have seen a couple with it roached as well. When we trim our mules, we cut the forelock off.

Icrazyaboutu 12-24-2009 01:21 PM

I just mean in general. I think it is more pretty and looks more taken care of with the forelock. You said you cut your mules, what about your horses?

CloudsMystique 12-24-2009 04:26 PM

The Saddlebreds who have roached manes (3-gaited and equitation) always have their forelocks roached. Andalusian mares almost always have roached forelocks, too. Polo ponies always have them roached as well.

I roached my gelding's mane and took his forelock off. I personally think it looks better without a forelock... especially if the horse has a thick forelock.

Icrazyaboutu 12-24-2009 09:13 PM

I think the only way I would be able to roach them completely(forelock off) would be if they have a sucky forelock. I like Dozer's all long and a lot of people tell me not to trim either of my horses' forelock even though Bart's is so wimpy.

ridergirl23 12-24-2009 09:42 PM

whenever i roach i never roach the forlock, but thats beccause the forelock like, does not grow back on all the hroses ive had :P

PechosGoldenChance 12-26-2009 01:33 PM

I don't do either to my horses, since they have trouble growing long manes/tail in the first place (except for Pecho). But if I had a horse that was bred for it like fresians and what not, I have to say, I probably wouldn't take off all the forlock, just enough to clean it up and make it look nice and sharp instead of poofy. Thats just me though, I'm not sure how they are required for shows, they probably would have to come completely off I'd assume.

smrobs 12-26-2009 03:45 PM

I have never actually roached any of my horses so I don't know if I would leave the forelock or not. I think it would depend on the individual horse. If he had a nice forelock, I would probably leave it and if it was short or scraggly, I would probably shave it too.

Lis 12-26-2009 04:09 PM

Curious, what is roaching? Is it the american term for hogging?

My Beau 12-26-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lis (Post 500971)
Curious, what is roaching? Is it the american term for hogging?

Yes, it is