The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Natural Horsemanship Clinics and such? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/natural-horsemanship-clinics-such-43453/)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 12-24-2009 12:38 PM

Natural Horsemanship Clinics and such?

I'd like to start doing NH stuff with my mare, Leia. I have watched some tv shows on RFDTV but I don't have cable anymore so I've been watching my friend's brother in law (who's a rising NH trainer) train horses and he's given my tips. I've also been working on what I already know, AND I've been watching behavior out in the field. I'd just like to get my horse to be nearly as good as this one:

I'm kind of clueless as how to make a horse free lunge around you without a round pen... like the horse runs a circle around you, close to you... like this:

I'd really like to teach her to rear because I've seen her rear (and ridden her rear) and she can go straight up and is really balanced. She can stay up in the air for 30 seconds and will even take a few steps. lol

stuff I'd like to teach her:
-to follow me when I ask
-to ground tie
-to back away from me
-to spin without me touching her (form the ground)
-to back when I pull her tail
-to become really good at bridleless
-to build a really good bond and connect with her

and anything else you can think of!! :)

SavvyHearts 12-25-2009 03:14 PM

All those things will take time and love, language, and leadership in equal doses.

Parelli now offers a "Get Started" DVD...and even if you don't think Parell is for you, it's like $20, has ALOT of information, and Pat works with a horse that has never done Parelli before. It's quite fun to watch and you will definitely learn something new.

Also if you check on different clinician websites you can see a schedule of when and were they are going to be giving clinics. Even just auditing a clinic is a great way to start :)

Spirithorse 12-25-2009 06:00 PM

I agree with SavvyHearts.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 12-25-2009 11:03 PM

Where can you buy the DVDs? like a website?? link?

Spirithorse 12-25-2009 11:06 PM

www.parelli.com will show you everything you need to know :)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 12-27-2009 12:38 PM

Thanks!!