The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How to keep a post op horse quiet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-keep-post-op-horse-quiet-43461/)

Beling 12-24-2009 02:03 PM

How to keep a post op horse quiet?

After 2 weeks at the clinic after an operation to remove a big bone chip (sesamoid bone) my young horse came home. She paced at the clinic, at home she simply kept breaking out of the stall/pen we'd rigged up. Finally, after putting up a big fence with huge chains, she stayed in for two days, then she went over the fence, which was about chin-high.

So she's more or less out, but while there isn't a lot of room, she's way TOO ACTIVE. Her support bandage is off now, but after she fools around (she has a companion horse) she limps really badly.

The vet said not to wrap, but I think I will, lightly, for when I ride the other horse and she frets about it.

Any suggestions on how I can get her quieter? Has anyone had an experience like this? Is there any chance she'll ever stop being lame?:cry:

G and K's Mom 12-24-2009 05:31 PM

If the vet has instructed you to keep her stalled then you need to rig something up that will hold her. Three or four rail panels can be tied together to make a standing stall. You may have to halter and tie her to make her rest, at least for a few hours at a time. Put up a hay bag and bucket of water she'll be fine.

If you continue to let her move around too much it is going to take a LOT longer for her to recover.

You need to get tough for her sake!!!!

AppyLover615 12-24-2009 05:53 PM

I'd hate to suggest this, cus I am not thrilled with this idea so much, but how about a small sedative on occasion (not like all the time, but on occasions, like you are riding your horse and she frets?) or if she ties well, have her in crossties so she can't move? (but then she might break free if she is too crazy??) I feel bad for you! I dunno what else to suggest.

hang in there!

~AL615

gypsygirl 12-24-2009 05:57 PM

there are some longer term sedatives you can use, i forget what the one i used was called..sorry !

also, you could put her in a stall on a zip line, with hay & water in easy reach

luvs2ride1979 12-24-2009 10:48 PM

What are you feeding her? Do you have a barn you can keep her in? Did you ask your vet about calming supplements or long-term sedatives?

MyBoyPuck 12-25-2009 12:35 PM

My horse won't move a muscle is there's a big pile of hay in front of him. Maybe she can be bribed with forage?

Beling 12-25-2009 03:12 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. The vet said it was okay for her to move around, in fact it would help the tendons align again. She had most of the "stall rest" at the clinic, where she nevertheless did a lot of pacing. She's so small, she had plenty of room in their stall and pen. She had a support bandage. But she's not supposed to gallop. I think it IS going to take extra-long to heal, though, because of her personality. I'm just going to try keeping it wrapped during the day when I can watch it. She's getting bute every day, no sedatives.

luvs2ride1979 12-26-2009 07:06 PM

Maybe less bute. If she feels the pain a little, she may be less likely to re-injure herself. I'd also cut out or back any feed you're giving her, just give her enough for any supplements she needs.

Ryle 12-27-2009 01:13 PM

Consider putting a pasture mate in the pen with her. Generally horses who fuss about confinement are really fussing about the lack of companionship (herd mentality is strong), so putting a calm horse in the pen with him very well fix the problem.