The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Paints and Quarter Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/paints-quarter-horses-43515/)

ridesapaintedpony 12-25-2009 02:08 PM

Paints and Quarter Horses

In this thread

http://www.horseforum.com/showthread...610#post498610

Painted Hotrod stated "Well, just my opinion, but..
A Paint is just a Quarter with all kinds of different markings."

Now this has always been my thought too. However, two long time horse owners have recently made comments that Paints have a bad reputation for being spooky, a little bit crazy. Someone actually said to me, "well, he is a Paint afterall."

I've always thought that Paints were basically QHs with patches. Is this not true anymore? Are they now known to be a bit quirky?

For the record, my Paint comes from a long line of Paints, QH with the TB thrown in behind many of the QH.

Skippn Thru The Spots Paint

paintsrule 12-25-2009 02:26 PM

Hmm, I never thought paints to be more hyper than quarter horses, in fact my paint and the paints i know are very calm. I also always thought paints are spotted quarter horses, i mean all registered paints have quarter horse in there linage so how could paints be totally different than quarter horses if there related? I dunno.

LeahKathleen 12-25-2009 02:30 PM

An American Paint Horse is a stock breed that comes directly from the Quarter Horse and the Thoroughbred.

It seems absurd to me that as a breed, they would exhibit traits that their base breeds do not, like "spooky" and "quirky."

Now, I have two paints who are FULL of personality, but I also have three quarter horses who are FULL of personality.

I've met lots of paints, and some were spooky, but it is not a trend I've seen in the breed at all.

ridesapaintedpony 12-25-2009 02:32 PM

Thanks to both of you. I never thought that either. I was a bit surprised and quite honestly, a bit insulted.

KristinJ 12-25-2009 02:33 PM

Hmm well I have a paint. Lines include paints/quarterhorses and some tbs. He is spooky a tad .. BUT he is only 21 months old! So that is an age thing. Otherwise he is a great little guy. Most people look at him and go 'ohh pretty arabian !!' He is a solid paint, LIGHT palomino. Often looks white, and runs with his tail up because he loves to play ... hehe.

smrobs 12-25-2009 03:51 PM

I think that some people attach a stigma to a certain breed because some people and breeds just don't get along. My brother hates paints because every one he has ever had, he had a bad experience with. I think a big part of how they act is how they are treated. Some horses can sense when a person just doesn't like them even if they aren't mistreated and therefore, they misbehave. I don't particularly care for paints simply due to an aesthetic sense. I don't like horses with that much white but I am not opposed to riding one because there is absolutely no difference between them and QH.

One of the spookiest horses I have ever seen is my Dad's horse Pokey and he is 100% QH while my paint Jet wouldn't spook at almost anything, although he did go through a bucking stage during his training. I agree that for the most part, paints are just QHs with splashy coloring.

GandRPaints 12-25-2009 04:43 PM

I have raised paints for over 15 years and I can tell you that they are no different than a quarter horse. Every horse has its own personality and how you raise a horse plays a big role in how they act and react to different people and things. This is with any breed.

ridesapaintedpony 12-25-2009 08:24 PM

Thank you all. Like I said, I was a bit insulted. I've even heard they're as "crazy" as Arabians, not that I think Arabs are that way.

Macslady 12-25-2009 09:20 PM

Just like many people I know won't own an appaloosa because the Indians were supposed to have bred them to be crazy! :lol:

Attitude05 12-27-2009 06:07 AM

lol.
my qh is not quiet at all. but most of the paints i know are...