The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   pick up your feet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pick-up-your-feet-43535/)

western walking horse 12-25-2009 10:11 PM

pick up your feet

hey all i dont know if this is the right spot for this but i just want to know what you all do to get your horse to pick up their feet

riccil0ve 12-25-2009 11:32 PM

I reach for my mare's foot and she all but puts it directly in my hands, lol.

My 16-month-old is a bit different, but we're well on our way to the same place I am with my mare. I stand at her side facing her rear, and starting at the back of the knee, run my hand down the back of her leg, and grab her around the pastern. If she picks her foot up when I'm going down her leg, she gets praised, if she waits until I get to the pastern, I just pick her feet, and if she doesn't bother to pick her feet up at all, I throw myself into her shoulder to get her off-balance and snatch her hoof up, lol.

I also pick all four feet from one side, just reaching across for the one on the other side. My young one gets it about half the time, so I usually go all the way around with her, but we try it occasionally. =]

PaintHorseMares 12-26-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 500647)
I reach for my mare's foot and she all but puts it directly in my hands, lol.

Unless you have a real ornery horse or there is a pain problem, my experience has been that they all get to this point over time, regardless of the 'cue' you use. Some folks run their hand down the leg, some squeeze under the fetlock, etc. and reinforce with a verbal cue until only the verbal cue is needed. Many will even do it when they see you next to them with a hoof pick, rasp, or hoof stand. Like most things, repetition and patience.

justsambam08 12-26-2009 12:12 PM

I used to have the run my hand down my geldings leg....then I had to squeeze just under his fetlock, and now all I have to do is say "up" and he brings his foot up.

SeeinSpotz 12-26-2009 12:35 PM

all i have to do is snap my fingers and my mare lifts up her hoof!

Sunny06 12-26-2009 12:46 PM

When you ride or on the ground?

When you ride, you can put poles down and say the word "feet" when he goes over them and eventually he will associate that word with picking his feet up. Works with mine :)

kitten_Val 12-26-2009 03:07 PM

I just say "up" for fronts and hinds they already pick up when I move there. :D But I put lots of time and training into that. They were completely unhandled, so it took while for them to learn.

Katafran 12-26-2009 10:24 PM

I let him sniff the hoof pick and Reagan picks them up for me.

Norman I still have to run my hand down his legs and if he doesn't pick them up right away I push him off balance until he gives.

UnrealJumper 12-26-2009 11:21 PM

With younger horses i run my hand all the way down their leg and give a little squeeze on the lower part of their leg then I lean against them a little bit, works every time. You may have to be a bit more firm with it at first.

Anvil 12-27-2009 10:36 AM

does anyone walk their horses in circles if they don't want to pick up their ft? i had some amazing results this summer with this technique. u ask u r horse to pick up a ft by put n a lillte pressure on the pasturn or squeezze their chestnuts if he refuses to pick up the ft take a lead rope attach it to the halter stand about an arms length from the horse's shoulder then with u r other hand put lillte pressure on lead rope and walk towards the horse's flank or hip area this will automaticly put u in a tight circle keep go n until horse stops try n to get away from u . then try n pick up his foot if he refuses repeat u r circle till he lets u pck up his foot. it can be very time consuming but it works.