The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Branding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/branding-4357/)

Nita 11-15-2007 09:49 PM

Branding?

hi everybody. i know this probably isn't a cruelty question, but i thought this was the best place. i just got a weanling qh filly and i was wondering, do you think i should brand her?? i mean hot brand, not freeze brand. if not, what should i do?? i buy all of my horses to keep forever, so selling isn't gonna be a problem. what do you guys think?

Horseknogg 11-18-2007 04:53 AM

I have seen horses freeze branded and it is a lot less painfull then hot branding but it stands out a fair bit. Microchips are the best if you can keep them secure.If your always keeping your horse for ever then microchips are probably best.

Nita 11-18-2007 12:27 PM

how much does getting a microchip cost? do you just have the vet do it?

TxHorseMom 11-19-2007 10:50 AM

Personally I like the freeze branding the best. It doesn't really hurt the horse, and potential theives are wary of brands. A microchip, is useless unless you know it is there. For example, if a thief steals a horse with a freeze brand, (or any other type brand) then sells it to a kill buyer or takes it to a slaughterhouse, they are supposed to check all branded horses before killing them to be sure they aren't stolen. But, they don't check for microchips.

So unless you were to find your horse in someones pasture or something and you were to say,(for example) "that's my horse and I can prove it, it has a microchip!" then it doesn't do you any good.

I guess the best protection would be a brand AND a microchip. Freeze brands aren't that expensive. Around here they cost between $15-$25 for one.

kailei_bailei 12-05-2007 04:37 AM

Tx is right......brands tend to deter horse thieves so a brand would probably be better

i reckon that freeze branding would be better

Nita 12-05-2007 06:56 PM

thank you guys!

Lc Performance Horses 05-11-2008 08:03 AM

I micro chip and freezebrand. Branding...scortching red hot iron stuck to my skin...er no, give me the freeze brand which is not painfull...i know this personally from experimenting lol... and micro chipping is not painful. (if any of you have ever had warts or similar and have been subjected to liquid nitrogen...thats how it feels.)

JustDressageIt 05-12-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxHorseMom
Personally I like the freeze branding the best. It doesn't really hurt the horse, and potential theives are wary of brands. A microchip, is useless unless you know it is there. For example, if a thief steals a horse with a freeze brand, (or any other type brand) then sells it to a kill buyer or takes it to a slaughterhouse, they are supposed to check all branded horses before killing them to be sure they aren't stolen. But, they don't check for microchips.

So unless you were to find your horse in someones pasture or something and you were to say,(for example) "that's my horse and I can prove it, it has a microchip!" then it doesn't do you any good.

I guess the best protection would be a brand AND a microchip. Freeze brands aren't that expensive. Around here they cost between $15-$25 for one.

How do you get your own brand made? If I was interested in getting a freeze brand for my mare with my initials and a crown or something, how would I go about making this? How much of a cost am I looking at?

PoptartShop 05-12-2008 01:14 PM

I think the freeze brand is a good way to go. ;)

.Delete. 05-14-2008 09:15 AM

I honestly feel that unless you have a herd of horses or a horse business that you pride yourself on training and/or producing horses you have no reason to brand a horse.