The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Thinking about getting rid of my horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/thinking-about-getting-rid-my-horse-43570/)

JavaLover 12-26-2009 05:08 PM

Thinking about getting rid of my horse.

I have finally decided that it would probably be best if I got rid of my horse. He's a good boy most of the time, but I just can't handle him. It probably wasn't a good idea in the first place for me to get a green horse. He's way too strong and pushy for me. I can't even put him on cross ties haha. If you try to stop him, he'll just keep walking, especially if he sees hay. Also, it's hard to walk him. He practically drags you along. He is saddle broke, but has only been ridden at a walk by me. I was thinking about giving him away for free because he isn't trained very well so people probably won't be willing to pay money for a horse that just eats all day.

Anyone have any opinions? :-|

ridergirl23 12-26-2009 05:13 PM

I think if you think hes to strong for you then you could let him go to a nice caring home. and you could get a much less strong willed, trained horse :) i think it all comes down to... are you comfortable being around him? do you feel safe? if not, then i would give him to a good home, but i think you might be able to sell him for some money, but it depends on the horse. you could also send him to a trainers if you really dont want to get rid of him :)

JavaLover 12-26-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 501058)
I think if you think hes to strong for you then you could let him go to a nice caring home. and you could get a much less strong willed, trained horse :) i think it all comes down to... are you comfortable being around him? do you feel safe? if not, then i would give him to a good home, but i think you might be able to sell him for some money, but it depends on the horse. you could also send him to a trainers if you really dont want to get rid of him :)

Well, that's the thing. I felt totally comfortable being around him until the other day. I was trying to put him on the cross ties and he seen hay in this stall that didn't have a horse in it which resulted in me breaking my toe and hurting my shoulder by being pushed against a stall. He has absolutely no manners.

Polaris 12-26-2009 07:30 PM

I think it boils down to your comfort level...if you are uneasy around him, then perhaps he is not the right horse for you.

That being said, the issues that you are describing are "fixable". He has no respect for you....horses either see you as alpha or they don't....he doesn't. :-|

Think about having a professional address these issues WITH you....not necessarily for you. The difference being that you are an active part of his ground training in manners. There is nothing worse than having a professional train a horse and them simply hand him back over to the owner....too many times I've seen that situation get ugly very quickly.

Give it some thought....if it doesn't interest you, then it sounds like it's time for both of you to move on.

White Foot 12-26-2009 07:45 PM

I think your giving up way to easy. And that your having "one of those days". Go watch a local trainer at a barn and get some inspiration.

Honeysuga 12-28-2009 02:33 AM

^^ Agreed. Don't give up, get a trainer. If you love your boy, try to make it where you are comfortable around him.

Gidji 12-28-2009 02:45 AM

Don't give up just yet :) I'm sure you love your boy and as someone else stated 'these problems are fixable.'
Maybe try working with a trainer for a week or two and see how you feel.
I remember when I first got Ricky (He's a yearling), I was like OMG What Have I Got Myself Into? And after working with my trainer and Ricky I got more confident and probably have the best behaved horse in the world :)

From what you've said it seems like he is a pushy, mannerless horse. You need to be in charge. Horses are just too big to be boss. Establish a discipline procedure with him.

And if all else fails, make sure he gets a good home where you know he will be happy.

snoggle 12-28-2009 08:10 PM

I have no idea how experienced you are with horses, so please don't be offended. I'm a pretty new horse owner myself and even though I think it would be a very good idea to have a trainer work with both you and your horse, I think it would also be helpful for you to get some books or videos on training that support what the trainer does. I was clueless when I started this and have found it helpful to read lots of books on training to understand why trainers do this or that with a horse. That way I won't undo any training they have done.

That being said, if you are miserable and won't enjoy training him and working with him until he has the kind of manners you want, there is nothing wrong with finding him a good home with someone who is willing to work with him and finding yourself a horse more to your level of experience. If you will be nothing but frustrated while working with him, you will neither one be very happy.

HeroMyOttb 12-28-2009 08:16 PM

I agree ith the above post that I don't think you should give up just yet but then again I don't really know the horse and you but maybe have a trainer help you through this for now, but if you still feel the same later then it might be the best for you to move on to a more well trained horse. It all depends on you and your comfort level and how much you are able to work with this guy.

wannahorse22 12-28-2009 08:19 PM

Do what your heart tells u