The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Barn friend help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/barn-friend-help-43579/)

LoveMyDrummerBoy 12-26-2009 06:55 PM

Barn friend help

Ok so I was hoping yo guys could give me some advice.

My best friend since forever has also been my riding buddy. During the time that we kind-of stopped being friends, she bought a horse and moved to a different place than me. When we started hanging out again, I met her trainer and loved where she was, and so we started talking about moving Drummer there. It is about twice as far where me and him were at first and so my parents were having a hard time trying to imagine fitting one more huge thing in their schedules. So my best friends mom offered to drive me out there every Sunday (and eventually every Saturday) during the time when they go out. So it worked for a while until one Saturday she fell off. It was bad and I know she pulled a mucle, but its been three weeks and she won't drive out on our lesson day anymore.

Adding to everything, today my best friend called me and asked me (I was driving home from being out of town for the holidays) if I would like it if she would turn out my horse. So her mom could take her today and not me and her tomorrow?

I know it is very kind of her to drive me out, but she also made a promise she would do it.

I really like the place that I am at, but if I can't be driven out as much, my parents would rather move and pay more than have to do all the driving.

It's a little early to make any solid decisions and my horse's training isn't even finished, but I just need some tips.

Thanks everyone

LoveMyDrummerBoy 12-26-2009 08:14 PM

Oh and I forgot to say sorry for the novel. I think I over reacted a little bit but its hard to not see my boy as much and I hate asking my parents for so much all the time. They have already sacrificed a ton to keep me pursuing my future with horses.

Sixxofdiamonds 12-26-2009 09:09 PM

Would it be possible for you to talk to other boarders at the barn to see if you could hitch a ride with them sometimes? Or start saving for public transportation?

LoveMyDrummerBoy 12-26-2009 09:41 PM

Well, maybe, it's out in a rual area with only freeways to get there and i don't think that the trains are active out there. Also, all of the other boarders live much closer to the stable.

sillybunny11486 12-26-2009 09:45 PM

You/ your parents should have thought of this before. Don't rely on other people for things like this. You can have a friend promise something but that dosent ever mean they are going to do it. How many times do you go see your horse??

LoveMyDrummerBoy 12-26-2009 10:11 PM

Yes, we did think of that and I do get out there enough, especially now that he is in full training and has turnout. I just kind-of feel for my parents.

sandy2u1 12-27-2009 12:00 AM

I think that because your friends parents are no longer keeping the agreement and because your parents don't want to do all that driving, then you need to move your horse to a barn near you. You will get to see your horse more and won't have to depend on others.

justsambam08 12-27-2009 01:03 AM

I'm going to try and be the positive one here, lol. Maybe offer to carpool every other week or something, so you still get to see your horse, but her mom doesn't do all of the driving. If I were a mom, that would be my number one cause of complaint (actually, as one of the only people of my friends with a car, that was one of my complaints for a long time), is that it was always me wasting the gas, with little money pitched in.

I also read somewhere that if your horse is more than 30 minutes away from you, you're less likely to go see it as much as you should/plan on.

LoveMyDrummerBoy 12-27-2009 08:04 PM

Yes, thanks guys. Everything really is ok, I think I did overreact. I think I will talk to her too. Also, when my friends mom can't go, me and my parents do take her.