The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   free, good or bad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/free-good-bad-4360/)

Barbaro4evr 11-16-2007 02:10 AM

free, good or bad?

I've noticed, hrses being given away, in the local classifieds, what I was wondering is do they do it because there is something wrong with the horse, or they don't care what kind of person gets it? Are they actually any good? Like this last week, there were two quarter horse weanlings free in the paper, the colt was supposedly in good condition, but the filly did have very minor foot issues. Unfortunately they were already gone when I called. But, I was wondering if I should even bother looking for more, or if I'd just end up with a horse with major problems?
Alot of the horse in this area go for $500.00, and even though thats cheap, getting a free one would save me $500.00, which could be used for horse care. Please help me with this. I don't want to get ripped off. Thanks

Jacki 11-18-2007 12:10 AM

Hi Barbaro4evr :D

If horses in your area are commonly going for 500 I wouldn't be suprised at there being the odd good free one. However, don't expect much from them, if they were great horses the people would be able to sell them. Often people that give them away DO care about there horse because if they didn't, they could get money for them at the knackery. You have to examine them on a case by case basis. Often it's old or unsound horses. Apart from that I would think the only real good ones would be uneducated horses or "bad tempered". If you are capable these can be GREAT. Good horses of the track and standardbreds are always availabe for free, but these may or may not have injurys, and will need education. No matter if you are paying nothing or $200,000 you need a vet check! Don't make the mistake of not getting one, it will save you a lot in the end.