The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horses Imitating Humans? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horses-imitating-humans-43616/)

crimson88 12-27-2009 05:00 PM

Horses Imitating Humans?

Has anyone ever had a horse that did something that seemed like they were trying to imitate humans? I have never really thought about that until today. I was free lounging a gelding in his pasture and when I was done I set my longe whip on the ground (and Of course forgot it was there).Then I put two more horses out in the same pasture with him. Mind you, he is not a mouthy horse at all, he's not one of those horses that put's every thing in his mouth. He walked up to the longe whip and put the rubber handle in his mouth and then started trotting from behind the others. He followed them with the whip for about 20 secs until he realized they were unimpressed. It really did look like he was trying to "longe" them. Another case, was a pinto gelding I used to own. On rainy days I would leave him in his stall and just clean his stall around him on those particular days. It was funny because he would always watch me very closely when I would clean. Then after a few days when I would come into clean I would go to one pile, and he would go to another and start pawing at it, or come to the pile I was cleaning and paw at it too. He was always very tidy and never stepped in his poo, unless he was "helping". I think it's so interesting that some are smart enough to imitate us. Has anyone every had something similar happen?

Vidaloco 12-27-2009 05:09 PM

Our alpha mare 'Fras will lunge the others in the round pen. She stands in the center and will rear up while the others run around her. She will make them change direction and all. Its really funny to watch them. One of these days I'm going to try to get a video of it.

Kashmere 12-27-2009 05:12 PM

Sounds intresting!
I think it's definitely possible, since they can see what certain objects/gestures/.. can bring.
Which is probably why they try mimick it! :-)