The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Breaking in new tall boots: (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/breaking-new-tall-boots-43665/)

horsea 12-28-2009 12:55 AM

Breaking in new tall boots:

For Christmas I got new tall boots. I have had tall boots before but these just are not dropping! They are Ariat Challenge II zip field boots. They have elastic laces (which look GREAT by the way).

However, they have the long Spaininsh top and they are supposed to drop but are not no matter what I do! I have worn them with layers and done stretches for 2 full days now and they have not dropped at all! (I am pointing and flexing my toes in them as I type!)

Does anyone else have these boots and have this problem or is it just me? Does anyone have another idea to break them in and make them drop or am I stuck with high tall boots?

Thanks for your help!

horsea 12-28-2009 12:59 AM

Here is a pic of them:

http://www.saddlesource.com/prodimag...06F_S09BIG.jpg

I am thinking they are not dropping because of the elastic laces. Any ideas?

jody111 12-28-2009 01:43 AM

My boots took a good week to break in and a month to be truely broken in - so my suggestion is just keep riding in them - they do give (My friend has te ariat field ones and they gave)

You could go to a saddlery and get some leather stretching spray which does help (ive used that) some shoe places do stretch leather for you but I personally dont recommend that cause I have heard some horror stories about how they stretch them

ridergirl23 12-28-2009 01:55 AM

Yayyy new boots! They r always great to get! The breaking in part sucks, I just wore mine EVERYWHERE. And riding, I got blisters, but they gave:D btw it was a different type of boot

ChingazMyBoy 12-28-2009 02:23 AM

I have the identical boots, I walked around in them for one day. Rode in them the next, there fine now.

Void 12-28-2009 12:53 PM

It took me a good while to break in my tall boots when I bought them. I wore them everywhere, to school, lunch, rode in them everyday. It's the riding that really gets that ankle to drop.

JumpingTheMoon 12-28-2009 05:28 PM

I trick I learned from when I was in the army, many years ago when we still wore leather jump boots haha (phew am I ever old)... :

Fill a bath tub with hot water, put your boots in there. Once the water has cooled down enough that you can stand in it (still as hot as you can stand it without burning of course) put your jods on with a thick pair of socks, put your boots on wet. Get a good magazine and sit til the water is cool. take your boots off, and stuff them with hot wet towels, drain the water from the bath and stand your boots up with the towels in them. The next day - give them a good going over with good boot polish.

Has worked for me every time.

ridergirl23 12-28-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JumpingTheMoon (Post 503179)
I trick I learned from when I was in the army, many years ago when we still wore leather jump boots haha (phew am I ever old)... :

Fill a bath tub with hot water, put your boots in there. Once the water has cooled down enough that you can stand in it (still as hot as you can stand it without burning of course) put your jods on with a thick pair of socks, put your boots on wet. Get a good magazine and sit til the water is cool. take your boots off, and stuff them with hot wet towels, drain the water from the bath and stand your boots up with the towels in them. The next day - give them a good going over with good boot polish.

Has worked for me every time.

that GENUIS! lol i am going to use that trick!

horsea 12-28-2009 07:01 PM

I think I will try putting them in water. I've heard about people doing that. But I have a question: I thought tall boots should not get wet inside? Is ok for the leather?

ridergirl23 12-28-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsea (Post 503276)
I think I will try putting them in water. I've heard about people doing that. But I have a question: I thought tall boots should not get wet inside? Is ok for the leather?

im pretty sure its fine for the leather... but maybe check the tags or ad or somethign to make sutre thosse boots are ok for water