The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   flax seed/linseed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/flax-seed-linseed-43672/)

beckyarchie 12-28-2009 05:54 AM

flax seed/linseed?

hi, im looking for something to put a little bit of condition on my mare, but mainly just to improve the condition of her coat. i've bought a broad spec feed balancer for nutrients but someone recommended flax seeds. i read up on them and there seems to be confusion on how to feed them? :?ive heard ground, bioled, rinsed.... i just want to know the safest and easiest way to feed it, or any alternative oils like sunflower seed or corn. any additional info on these oils/seeds would be soooo helpful!
thanks in advance guys!!! XD:-P

greymaregirl 12-28-2009 08:13 AM

hi becky,
we used to feed linseed boiled to hunters years ago after they had been out hunting... ive been looking for it lately just really for nostalgia it was a fantastic feed after they had a hard day out ... and from a selfish point of view the smell was amazing. on the subject of coat condition .. my partner delivers liquid molasses to farms with an articulated truck. the farmers use it for vitamin supplements for dairy cows. quite a few horsey people i know use it so we have always added a small scoop to our two horses feed. some people dont like to use it as it i have heard some people say it is too heating.
our two dont seem any different on it and they both have fantastic coats. both have a healthy shine about them evan in winter coats!
dont know if this will be any help but it works for me.

eventerdrew 12-28-2009 11:06 AM

I have a very hard keeper and I have used flax seed to keep her coat and weight healthy. She has done great on it! I personally just use whole flax. She is a picky eater and she eats it whole, so I figure it's fine :D I get it in 50 lb bags from my local feed store and it lasts forever!

sillybunny11486 12-28-2009 11:18 AM

I ground my flax seed. Ive herd of linseed but never actually saw it or used it. Flax is pretty cheep in large bags, and has lots of benefits.

luvs2ride1979 12-28-2009 12:26 PM

I feed a balanced flax that is pre-milled with added calcium and preservatives from horsetech.com. I feed 1/2 cup daily.

I have had good luck in the past feeding whole flax to horses, not ground or boiled. Boiling leaches out much of the beneficial oils and nutrients. Grinding it is fine, but really not necessary. You have to grind single servings daily as it can go bad quicly.

Rice Bran (oil or milled) is also good for weight gain and Omega 3 fatty acids. Hemp oil is also good, though because of growing restrictions it can be hard to find ;-).

luvs2ride1979 12-28-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunny11486 (Post 502715)
I ground my flax seed. Ive herd of linseed but never actually saw it or used it. Flax is pretty cheep in large bags, and has lots of benefits.

Linseed is the same thing as Flax, it's just another name for it. In the UK and Australia Linseed is the more common name.

Luv 2 Trail 12-28-2009 03:28 PM

:-)I use Omega Horseshine - it's stabilized flax and it has a long shelf-life. I have been very pleased - my guys do well on it!

jcran 12-28-2009 10:38 PM

I have read that rice bran shouldn't be fed too often as it's not balanced CA:P very well.

luvs2ride1979 12-28-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcran (Post 503576)
I have read that rice bran shouldn't be fed too often as it's not balanced CA:P very well.

Which is why you should by stabilized rice bran, that has added calcium. Flax has the same issue, though it's not as unbalanced as rice bran is.

beckyarchie 01-05-2010 05:13 AM

thanks so much guys!
she's been on flax seed oil for about a week now and she's doing good, i can definately see more of a shine and the oil is real easy to feed, so thanks for all the advice! i feel knowledgable now ;)
thank youuuu x