The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   as promised... GOAT PICTURES!... and some questions for the experts! (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/promised-goat-pictures-some-questions-experts-43682/)

eventerdrew 12-28-2009 11:27 AM

as promised... GOAT PICTURES!... and some questions for the experts!

9 Attachment(s)
Ok guys,

I promised some that I would get pics of my new goatypoo so heere they are! Buddy is settling in marvelously. He has made great friends with me and I lub him :) When I come into the barn, he bleets at me and tells me all about his day. haha. He loves to lick my hands and forehead for some reason. lol. (he has a mineral block for the record). He lets me touch him everywhere now except for his feet. I still need to get him desensitized in that area so I can start trimming his feet (can someone post a vid or tell me how??).

He has been going out in our roundpen which is completely enclosed except for the top, of course. He has found every hole in the place and we are in the process of making sure all of them are covered so he can't hurt himself. He has made friends with the horses over the fence and I'm hoping to put him out with them when the snow clears (we have 6 foot drifts right now!).

So, experts... looking at the pics... can you tell me what breed/s he is, what his color is classified as, and possibly and age if you can tell without teeth? I've had him on Purina Goat Chow for a couple of days and he seems to really enjoy it. I'm trying to put more weight on him but does he look OK now?

ok, enough talk... pic time! Here's my boy!

wannahorse22 12-28-2009 11:35 AM

I am pretty sure he is a Nubian goat. By the way, i am no expert but my dad is getting goats soon so i m still learning:)

eventerdrew 12-28-2009 11:47 AM

thanks :) I thought maybe he was a Nubian/Boer cross? The man I got him from raises meat goats so I would imagine he'd have to have a bit of meat goat in him. Maybe. haha. Do Nubians usually have horns?

wannahorse22 12-28-2009 11:58 AM

I believe so, but usually horns indicate it is a male goat.

eventerdrew 12-28-2009 12:33 PM

yeah he was given to us as a supposed nanny but then I saw him pee... he's definitely a he. haha. But he's a wether so that's good.

eventerdrew 12-28-2009 01:31 PM

Bumpppp

eventerdrew 12-28-2009 05:13 PM

uhm excuse me but BUMP :)

Iluvjunior 12-28-2009 05:19 PM

I know absolutely nothing about goats lol I just wanted to say he's adorable!

Bubbles101 12-28-2009 05:21 PM

Horns dont indicate gender, females have horns too, unless theyre dehorned as kids. He looks like a boer/nubian to me. His weight looks good. You can find info. on hoof trimming by google pretty easily, theres not much to it. Good luck!

lacyloo 12-28-2009 05:58 PM

His ears,color,size are screaming pygmy/Boer cross.

Typically when anything is crossed with Nubian's they pick up the long floppy ear trait,which he doesn't have nor the nose hump.